Eleven

Laken P.O.V

It took the school a total of two weeks to get back into session. It took an entire week after the phone call the school sent for me to convince my mother to let me go back. She was completely against it. You could see the stress and the toll it was taking on my mother, it was wearing her out. I understand that she is afraid of the world but that doesn't mean I am . . . What am I saying? I'm a complete and utter scaredy-cat. Put a werewolf directly in front of me growling and I'd run for the hills since I can't run for the sea. That would truly cause my mother to have a whole heart attack.

When the day finally came around for school to start back up again, I had to plead that morning to my mother that she let me go back to school. I know, a child wanting to go to school? You got to be kidding?! But I get my books from school and I know my mother wouldn't take me to the library if I asked and it's too far from school for me to walk there and make it home before my mother would start to panic. So the school library was the only option. I was glad to know that the library hadn't been damaged. It was only a couple of classrooms and some of the cafeteria. It honestly shouldn't have taken them as long as it did to allow us to reattend but I was thankful for every second because it took so long to convince my mother. My mom has some serious determination that I was barely able to break.

Eventually, her will to stop me from attending school broke. The moment I got to school I forgot why I wanted to go in the first place.

The school was kind of creepy now. Everyone was walking around on eggshells. The school had bounced around reasons the fire started. A prank from students? Attack from rival school? None of those were correct though. It had been an attack from a type of supernatural creature out to kill the dragons. It wasn't like I could go to the principal and tell him that though. It was better for the rest of the school, the non-supernatural percent to remain oblivious and continue to believe it was a once in a lifetime attack that by no means would happen again. I hope it doesn't happen again. I don't think my mother could take it. If an attack like that happens again then I'm most definitely going to be locked in our apartment or she is going to make us move which would negatively affect both of us.

Have I ever mentioned the beautiful sea that was legit right next to town?

I stood at my locker which hadn't been harmed by the fire. The school kind of smelt like gasoline still but I think the janitors were working on it. I couldn't rush or blame them. The school was an average size but last time I checked we only had two janitors so it was no rush. It did kind of bring back bad memories though. That day had been horrifying, to say the least. I don't think any kid should have to deal with stopping someone from burning one of their classmates alive, supernatural or not. It made me not want to see Tristin and at the same time, I really wanted to see him. It was weird. I was still scared of him, even more so after he broke into my home but . . . I don't get it. I liked his aura. Although at times it was kind of scary, when Tristin wasn't paying attention to anything or focusing on one thing, his aura calmed and became something pleasant. I think I might be overthinking things though. Maybe there is nothing to it at all and I simply liked being around him but that wouldn't make much sense either.

I sighed leaning my head into the locker when I heard the she-devil pass by.

I might not mind her brother but I still couldn't stand Trina but I was comforted to know she was okay. After her and her brother had been taken I had only seen Tristin so I had no idea if she had been harmed or not and she showed no sign of having been injured. I wonder if Tristin told her that I was the siren she had been so desperately been looking for but based on the glare she sent my way I don't' think he has mentioned it to her. She wasn't walking with Tristin though, which was strange but I didn't want to get caught looking at her so I looked away and minded my own business knowing I only had to make it through half of the day and then the library is mine.