Ten

Laken P.O.V

I wasn't allowed to go to school the next day, they didn't have school but I was sure my mother wasn't planning on letting me go anyway. The moment I woke up I peeked my head out of my bedroom, only to see my mother forcing her bedroom dresser in front of the door, which was locked as tightly as it could have been. I don't think my mother knew I was watching, but I think she heard me closing my door. If I had school, I highly doubt that I would have gone any way with the way my mother was locking up the house, how she was barricading me inside of the apartment. I think I always had a feeling this would happen if something happened and my mother got scared of it. Sometimes, most of the time, I think she was overly scared of the things she didn't know. It got in the way of both of our lives. Whether she knew that or not, it did.

After about an hour of me being awake and cooped up in my room, I managed to escape the room and head into the kitchen where my mother was cooking up a storm. She overcooks when she has stressed it was something that I've seen her do a couple of times but this had to be the first time it had gone to this extent. She looked so stressed, she was muttering to herself. Her usually unseeable gills were flaring up a storm as she continued to pick at them, rubbing them unconsciously, an anxious habit of hers. It made me guilty to see her in such a panic like this.

I slowly enter the kitchen, making sure that I made no sudden movements that would startle my mother. I knew my mother was in that kind of jittery mood. I slowly sat down at the table next to the kitchen and the noise of the chair moving startled my mother because she turned around in a panic. My mother lowered her hairs, where a spoon had been her chosen weapon. She had waved it threateningly in my direction but seized fire when she noticed that it was me who she was attempting to threaten with a spoon. It would have been funny if my mother didn't have dark circles underneath her eyes.

"Good lord you scared me!" She screamed at me before letting out a loud sigh that reminded me of a mother who was wondering what she did to deserve a child like this. I would have laughed but she still looked panicked, glancing around the room as if she was expecting the enemy to show up at any moment. Not surprisingly, nothing happened. I wanted to ask her why she was so tense, but I had a feeling it had something to do with me mentioning dragons. Maybe she thinks that they are out to get me. I don't think that Tristin even knows that it was me that saved him, he was pretty unconscious. I don't think that even if Tristin was conscious that he was conscious enough to recognize me.

"Sorry," I say, looking around the kitchen. There were plates of this and that piling up on the counters. It was sad because she wasn't going to eat half of the things she is cooking and I know for no reason is she going to leave the house unless absolutely necessary. Maybe for her weekly ocean trip, which I'm still envious about.

"It's fine honey, just don't do it again," My mother said as she turned around and continued to stir whatever she was currently cooking. She began to humm a familiar tune, a tune she'd sing for me as a child to calm me down. It was a subconscious thing, my mother humming. I would attempt to ease the panic that she has created inside her mind but I think me mentioning it would probably only make it worse. I don't want to panic her more.

It made me curious though, to know if my mother knew who attacked the school and what they wanted. It looked like they were about to set Tristin on fire. I wonder if my mother knew why. She probably did and would most likely not mention it to me. My mother kept stuff like that away from me, even though it might be better for me to know that kind of stuff, in case it happens again. If my mother gets it into her head that it might happen again I might have to go back to home schooling. I had to deal with that as a child and I was miserable the entire time. I was hardly ever let out of the house, even after I got my siren abilities under better control. She wouldn't let me near the water but as a child, I simply wanted to be outside with nature, something I wasn't given either. For a very long while, that made me bitter towards my mother, even though I know she only did that to keep me safe. I think she took the keeping me safe a little too far half of the time.