Fifteen

Laken P.O.V

When the day had begun, the sky had been clear and endless looking. During the time of getting away from the apartment building, the sky had immensely darkened. Before there wasn't a cloud in the sky, now you couldn't see anything but clouds. The light that was there moments before, disappeared behind the blockage.

It was as if the weather was able to sense my mood. The fear and panic that currently resided inside of me seemed to only reflect the weather outside. The darkening weather only seemed to encourage me to run away from the apartment faster than before. Now I wasn't only running from the apartment building and the men inside of it, I was running to hopefully find shelter from the rain that would be crashing down upon me at any moment.

I personally have never been a fan of the rain. As much as I loved the idea of the ocean, rain never really did anything for me. It didn't make me excited. As a child, I didn't beg my mother to go out and play in the gentle sprinkles. I never wanted to jump in puddles. I just didn't like the rain. That dislike for the weather only increased by the intensity of the storm. If there was lightning and thunder, fear would travel down my spine. It was a stupid fear, being afraid of thunderstorms, but it was one that I carried with me to this very day. Knowing a storm was coming made me want to turn back, but I knew that wouldn't result in a better outcome. In fact, that outcome would be worse. I simply need to get over my fear.

Lightning stricks across the sky, echoing a loud booming noise afterward. A fear that I will have to overcome in the pouring rain whilst running from my home. WONDERFUL!

Fear ran through me as I finally felt a drop of rain hit my head. At first, it was one, then it was two, then three. Then it was full out raining. The weather had decided to completely skip the sprinkle faze, the faze I was hoping would outlast the actual rain. Another strike of lightning struck, this time sounding closer than the previous. I began to shake from both chills and fear. It hadn't been overly hot before, in fact, it was more on the chilly side than anything else, and now I was soaking? This was not a good combination.

I sighed, wrapping my arms around myself, attempting to keep what little part of my clothes that was yet to get soaked, dry. It was a poor attempt, but it was an attempt none-the-less. It didn't turn out successful though, as the rain started coming down with the help of strong gusts of wind. This weather had seriously came out of nowhere.

I yelp when a car speeds by, and passed me, splashing the already nicely sized puddle of water onto me. If I hadn't been soaked before, I most definitely was now. I shivered again. I couldn't believe this. I had assumed I'd be able to run without worrying about the elements affecting every little thing I did.

I started running again when the traffic on the street started to pick back up, people attempting to get home before the weather got any worse. I was starting to wonder if the mermen being here were the cause of the storm raging on. I wouldn't put that past being the truth.

I turned another street, finally getting some idea where I was. I remembered the street from the bus route. I was walking towards the direction of the school.

School . . . I had been rather mean leaving Tristin in such a rush like that. He had only been attempting to help, concerned with the lack of my shifting. It was probably in concern simply because I was a type of shifter like him. I wonder if he has any personal experience with someone failing to shift and the side-effects.

I could potentially hide out at the school . . . there was a door that was rarely locked, even though they'd probably fix it with the fire that had taken place. It wouldn't hurt to try, plus the school has a lot of little sections of covered area on campus, if the actual building is locked, I could always hide on the playground that was built for the younger kids.

Deciding that was a good plan, I started running with a stronger purpose as an intended location was now placed in my mind.

It didn't take me very long to get to the school, the time seeming passing at an extensive rate. The weather hadn't calmed for a single moment, only getting worse. It didn't help my case, but it did kind of build a cover. No one was out now because of the weather. If the rain continued like this then certain roads had the potential to be closed due to water being over the roads. You'd think with this dang town being on the coast that they'd have built roads that wouldn't have the risk of flooding.

Running to the back of the school, I attempted to get into the actual school, knowing it would be a much more secure hiding place with no rain coming down on me. I was unfortunately disappointed when the usually unlocked door was locked tight. There wasn't anyone around either, meaning the building was now completely empty. I banged my head against the door, standing there for a moment because of the ledge overhead protecting me from the rain. I couldn't just stand there though, I would be to easily spotted. Giving myself a second to breathe and think, I decided to run to the playground and hide in one of the tunnels, where I would be protected from the rain. That is unless the rain decides to start up again.

Turning away from the door, I begin to run towards the playset, where I would most likely be spending my night.

Tristin P.O.V

Glancing out the wide window of the apartment space that was rented by my family during the extent of our stay, I frowned. The weather . . . it wasn't the calm usual weather that I have been adapting to. It was harsher today, more unsteady. I don't like it.

I shift in my seat, not enjoying having been stuffed into more formal attire on demand of my sister so we could video-chat our mother. She would huff and throw a fit if she knew me and my sister were wearing more casual everyday clothing. My mother is stuck in the mindset that we are to be treated like royalty, which we kind of are, and shouldn't dumb down to wearing peasant clothing.

The video-call had since ended and my sister left me in the sitting area alone to continue and finish the tea I had made for the occasion. The white tea wasn't as it usually was. The typically sweeter tea tasted more bitter than ever. I know it wasn't anything on my part that caused the tea's taste to be so . . . different. Something was just off.

My dragon was on edge as well. It was making me anxious, for reasons I couldn't explain. There was something though, something I know that I should be focusing on, something that I needed to do. I just couldn't figure it out. I have done all the minimum tasks assigned to me by my sister. I did the stupid homework assigned by teachers who have no idea what they are even teaching.

I lift the glass again, taking a small sip. Yes, definitely bitter. I don't like my tea's bitter.

The feeling didn't go away though, causing me to lower my cup in displeasure. I wasn't used to not understanding feelings as they were usually pretty straight-forward. No now though. They were being anything but straight-forward.

Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Hopefully.