Two

Laken P.O.V

The school that I had to attend wasn't a bad school. I simply didn't like attending it. I don't think any child, teen, or person really actually likes school by the end of the day. I don't like attending it at all. Maybe it was because I was envious. The kids at my school were always talking about how fun the beach was, or how good the water felt. I haven't ever been able to experience it for myself, and it was something I always wanted to do, always felt the urge to do. To be in the ocean, having the water washing over me, feel the sand underneath my feet, the waves crashing against my legs as the tides came in. That's what I've always wanted. It was unfortunate that I've never been able to enjoy that, a portion of my life that I've always wanted to live but haven't been able to.

Maybe it was because the teachers were kind of on the strick side of things, this is me comparing them based on movies and books that I've seen since I've never been in another school before. I was once homeschooled but I don't think that counts because my mother had been teaching me. She said it was because when I was younger I would accidentally use my siren abilities and she didn't trust that I wouldn't accidentally use them while at school. I didn't begin attending school until I was around the age of eight. That was fine though. I had been accepted into the school easily but I wasn't able to make a lot of friends, not that mother would have let me if she found out. She would be too afraid that I would accidentally let my secret out and then we'd be at an even bigger risk.

School had in a way, became a way for me to be alive, even if it was only for a little while. A way for me to be away from my mother's grip on my life. A short span of time that I could truly be free. Others would say I was wasting my freedom by spending my free time during school inside the school's library. I found peace inside the dust-filled room. Since most of our curriculum has become computer-based, we hardly ever used the hardback version of the evidential proof, the library becomes something of a ghost town to the rest of the school. It was a perfect place to get away from the rest of the school since nobody else ever went in there. It in a way became my place within the school. My little sanctuary . . . within a sanctuary.

Which is why I hated the actual classes that I had to attend. Since I was a sophomore, I got to pick one class that I could do whatever I wanted in. I choose to do a study hall class that never takes attendance, and that's typically when I make my escape to the library. An hour of freedom sounds pretty nice to me. The library is so empty that there isn't even a school librarian. In a way, I feel like the schools forgotten that their even is a library at all. I could never forget, mainly because it was my favorite place in the entire world but it also had to do with the fact that I loved to read. I found a passion in it during the span of my life that my mother had in a way trapped me in the apartment with me hardly ever leaving.

I was sadly not in the library. I was in Algebra II since I had completed Geometry while I was taking Algebra I the previous year. I was considered really smart but I didn't see it that way, when you have no friends, meaning you have no disruptions then you don't have that much to do during your free time but study. I was one of the people who studied all the time. I don't have much to do, which is why I studied. It isn't that I hated studying. I didn't get shocks of joy from studying but I don't hate it. I don't study in the library though. No, that was reading time and I used every single second of it. I just wish I wasn't in Algebra II. I simply wasn't feeling mathematics class today. Everything was blurring together and my will to continue to sit through the class was weakening the longer I sat at my desk. I wish that this class would just be over already. I wish school, in general, was over already but it doesn't appear like that would be the situation any time soon. This class just seems to be dragging on and on. The longer the class goes on, the shorter my will to live is. I'm not usually this against the school but today was just one of those days. One of the days where you don't feel any connection towards school, yeah, that's today.

I was about to rest my head on the desk when the door to the classroom opens, and along with the vice principal, stepped in two unfamiliar looking students. A boy and a girl. The boy was tall, taller than me. The girl was taller than me too, but shorter than the boy standing next to her. They looked like siblings which lead me to believe that we could potentially be having new students, which would have been fine if within the next ten seconds I didn't come to the conclusion that I did.

It took me maybe ten seconds to realize that they weren't human, so they were supernatural, and then it took simple milliseconds to realize that they were a species that my mom scared me to death with stories in my youth, tales that suddenly flooded into my minded in a rush. I would be avoiding these two like my mom warned me, she warned me a lot about . . .

Dragons.