4

Chapter Four

Natsu Dragneel

*switches to 1st person POV*

Gray frowned in protest, obviously opposed to having me drive him. Must've been his independent sense tingling. Whatever. He was blind, injured, and alone, and it would be just wrong for me to abandon him.

I latched my arm around Gray's elbow and softly tugged him towards the courtyard exit. I wanted to say something, like ask if he's okay, but I didn't know what, so I simply clamped my lips tightly shut and looked ahead.

After we went to our lockers to get our things, we went to the front exit.

"There's no way we're gonna make it out of this school without being stopped," Gray complained.

"I have off-campus privileges," I boasted, petting my student ID card in my wallet. "And since you're a senior too, it won't look suspicious at all."

"You got me there," Gray replied. If rolling your eyes was a tone of voice, he was definitely using it. I only chuckled in response and held the front door open. He exited without a 'thank you', no surprise there.

"So my parking space is #152, it's a bit of walking, I hope that's okay," I explained, leading him towards the student parking lot.

"'S fine. I can handle myself," Gray's voice broke at the end as he winced in pain. I felt guilty, watching him. If only I was in that hall thirty seconds earlier...

Then again, that means I wouldn't have ever gotten the chance to go to his house. His house! I screamed in my mind. It made me nervous just thinking about it!

A few minutes later, we arrived at my tiny maroon car, and I showed Gray the way to the front seat. He buckled himself in with ease, since practically anyone can do that with their eyes closed, and I threw our backpacks and books in the backseat.

"What's your address?" I asked, buckling in and rummaging around for my keys in my backpack.

"115 Strawberry Street," Gray replied, wrapping his arms around his stomach.

"Oh, my friend lives on that street! You must be living in the vacant house!" I said excitedly. I pulled out of my parking place and drove slowly out of the school.

"We'll, it's not vacant anymore," Gray said sarcastically.

"I know that, dummy," I rolled my eyes. "Will your parents be mad a total stranger is taking you home?"

"You aren't a total stranger," Gray corrected me.

"Right. I'm your frieeeend!" I responded cheerily, extending the 'e' sound just to annoy him as I patted his arm.

"Mm," Gray muttered, leaning against the window and looking out. Well, he wasn't actually looking, but his head was tilted so it looked like he was watching the passing trees.

The silence was uncomfortable, and Gray didn't seem to be in the mood to start up a conversation, so I switched to my favorite radio channel, hoping a good band was singing.

All Time Low's Time Bomb was a minute into the song, and I nodded my head to the beat. Gray looked over in my direction, a raised eyebrow peeking out from under his expensive-looking shades.

"You like All Time Low?" Gray asked, sounding mildly impressed.

"The real question is, who doesn't like All Time Low?" I responded cheekily.

Gray chuckled. "Turn it up some," He demanded. I obliged, cranking the dial. I started singing awfully to the lyrics, and after a bit of hesitation, Gray joined in too. I think we scared away some woodland creatures with our loud, chicken-screech-like singing.