29

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Natsu Dragneel

A/N: Thank you for your feedback! :) Tbh I'm too lazy to majorly change anything, oops. This is not the last chapter.

I was right- I didn't get a wink of sleep last night.

From my phone, the alarm clock rang frantically, but my eyes were cracked open before then. I barely registered the sound and turned it off, flipping back into my pillow.

My mind drifted back to what Gray had said last night. Do you'll think I'll die tomorrow? He had asked. The word itself terrified me. I tried to envision life without him- an empty navy blue beanbag next to me in math class, no one to go on beachside walks with, no happiness in general.

I began to sob.

"Natsu, are you awake? The Fullbusters are coming to pick you up at 8:50," Igneel called from down the hall.

I replied with a choked-up "yeah", hastily wiping my tears off my face.

I heard footsteps, and then Igneel appeared in my doorway. "Hey, are you okay?"

I nodded and gave a reassuring smile. "I'm fine," I shooed him off. Igneel rested his shoulder on the doorframe and crossed his arms.

"You are the worst liar ever," He deadpanned. I shrugged weakly and let more salty tears drop down, staining my duvet with tiny splotches. "Look at you, crying over this. It's only a three percent chance, you know. There's no need to fret."

"I know, Dad, it's just-" I didn't know what to say.

"No, I get it. And don't tell me I don't understand, I may not have a blind boyfriend, but I know what the chances are like. You know," Ingeel crossed the room, sitting on my bed. "Mom had a ninety-five percent chance of death. But I still had hope, even though her condition was so severe. Meanwhile, Gray has only three."

"Dad..." I smiled.

"What I'm trying to say is, he's going to be okay, you're going to be okay, and you're going to look back on your worrying and realize how stupid it is," Igneel joked, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Now come on, you have to get ready."

"Thanks, Dad," I said honestly as he stood up and left. Before he closed the door, he poked his head back inside.

"Wear something cute," He grinned slyly before shutting the door. I gasped and stared abashedly at my toes.

But he was right, I needed to wear something cute. First impressions last forever, right?

I rifled through the last of my unpacked outfits, picking out a loose, mint and brown striped long-sleeved tee and pulled it over my head. For pants, I stuck with dark colored jeans. I tugged on thick socks and my chocolate brown rubber boots.

I entered my bathroom and stared at my reflection. I had so many imperfections- the freckles dotting my nose, the pimple on my hairline, the scar on my neck- the list went on. I raised my glasses over my face, contemplating whether I should wear them or not.

Sighing in defeat, I left them perched on my nose and went downstairs.

I had barely enough time to grab a banana I probably wouldn't be able to keep down anyways before the doorbell rang. Taking a bite of the banana, I opened the door, revealing Lyon and Ultear.

"Hi, Na-chan! Let's go!" Lyon babbled as he hugged my legs. I laughed shortly and shut the door behind me. Lyon ran towards the parked minivan while Ultear walked by me.