9

Chapter Nine

Natsu Dragneel

A/N: This chapter is pretty long. I got carried away, whoops xD

"No, no, no, no!" I shouted, nearly breaking down my bedroom door and making a run for the bathroom. I hastily stripped off my clothes and jumped in the shower. The water was freezing cold, and I fell back in surprise.

"Ow..." I groaned, rubbing my tailbone. However, there was no time to waste. I hopped back up, made the water hotter, and began to wash my hair.

My extra-short shower probably took me a minute and a half, and I nearly forgot to wrap myself in a towel when I ran back inside my room. In a flash, I towel-dried my sopping wet hair and skin.

I searched around for a pair of scissors to snip off the tag on my shirt, and then threw it over my head. Next, I pulled on boxers, socks and skinny jeans. Lastly, I tugged on my navy toms and squeezed my phone back into my pocket.

I ran back into my bathroom, brushing my hair, patting it so it didn't look so matted and soppy.

I breathed a sigh of relief and went downstairs to write my dad a note. I scrawled out 'Going to dinner at Gray's' on a hot pink post-it note and tacked it to the refrigerator. Finally, I got out of the door, dived into my car, and carefully pulled out of my driveway.

On the radio was playing a song by some pop 'second summer' band Lucy liked. I frowned and pushed the off button. I didn't really need a headache right now.

When I pulled into Gray's house, cars had already filled the driveway and alongside the curb beside the yard. I parked across the street and took out my keys.

I could see a small family of a dad, mom, and a little boy walking hand in hand down the sidewalk, probably going to the cookout as well. In the dad's hand was a plate of chocolate chip cookies covered in a cellophane wrap.

Crap, I didn't bring anything, I smacked my forehead. I tugged at my hair in frustration and slammed the car door behind me, not forgetting to lock it up.

I crossed the yard and jumped up the patio steps. After taking a deep, shaky breath, I pressed the doorbell. Hopefully Gray would answer the door so I wouldn't come directly face-to-face with one of Gray's parents or some stranger opening the door.

Ten seconds passed, then I heard approaching footsteps and a click of a door unlocking. Behind the door was a pretty woman who looked in her early forties. Her long white hair was in a neat bun, with a few flyaway hairs framing her pale cheeks. The woman was clad in a peach-colored apron with a red heart and short overalls over a loose, white, t-shirt.

"Hi," I waved awkwardly. "I'm Natsu, one of Gray's friends. He invited me today," I introduced myself sheepishly.

"One of Gray's... friends...?" She whispered that last part to herself, eyes widening. I nodded, rubbing my arm with an embarrassed expression. I wasn't the best with meeting new people.

"Well, come in, come in!" The woman said loudly, her face breaking out into a wide grin. "I'm Gray's mom. You can call me Mika! Silver, honey!" She shouted across the house. "Come here right now!"

"What's wrong, darling?" A man with dark spiky hair and stubble dotting his chin poked his head through the back porch door. "Everything oka- oh, hello."

"Silver, this is Natsu. Gray's friend," Mika gestured to me, grinning happily. What was the big deal? Seriously?

The man named Silver, who I'm guessing was Gray's dad, fully entered the tidy home and came to stand next to his wife. "Gray's fr," He paused, clearing his throat. "Well, it's nice to meet you, son. I'm Silver."