10

Chapter Ten

Natsu Dragneel

After Tuesday night, also known as the best night ever, I realized I hadn't done any of my history or math homework, and ended up staying awake trying to bullshit my way through it until midnight. I fell asleep on my desk, which resulted in getting drool smeared on page 54 and a pencil stuck to my cheek.

My preset alarm, which was All Time Low's Backseat Serenade, began to blare out from the tiny speaker, jolting me awake. I groggily peeled the pencil off my face and turned the alarm off.

"Wait! Today's Wednesday! As in, no school today!" I yelled at myself, tugging at my bed head in frustration. "And now I'm up at seven thirty in the morning for no reason!"

"Son, are you awake? I need to talk to you about something," My father called from downstairs.

"I'm up," I whined.

"Okay, please hurry up, breakfast will be ready soon, and I don't want to be late for work," Igneel explained.

My brow furrowed with confusion. As sad at it sounds, my dad wasn't really the most affectionate person towards me, and he definitely didn't cook me breakfast, and from the smell of it, that bacon must've been out of his way to make.

I kept my pajamas on- navy t-shirt and black plaid pajama pants. After brushing my teeth, hair, and washing my face, I slipped my cold feet into my bunny slippers and padded down the stairs whilst rubbing my eyes groggily.

"Good morning," Igneel greeted me warmly. I tried not to raise my eyebrow at him and instead noticed the suitcase resting on our couch. Oh. That's it. "I made bacon."

"I see," I nodded, sliding into my chair. Igneel passed me the plattter and I shook some on to my plate. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," Igneel replied. "So, I have to go on a business trip in the mountains for a couple nights," Igneel began, looking down at his bowl of watery oatmeal. I nodded slowly, almost sarcastically, and shrugged.

"So I'll be home alone for a night or two. This isn't breaking news to me," I chuckled. However, Igneel's blank face made me raise my eyebrow. "Right?"

"Well, since I'll be gone for four nights, and you aren't at a legal age to stay home alone for more than one night," Igneel argued frantically. "I already have to leave you enough as a single dad to provide for this family, and I can't have you taken away from me too because you're alone at home!"

"Don't bring up mom into this!" I cried.

"This trip could get me a promotion," Igneel said firmly, changing the topic in a flash. "It's crucial that I go on it."

"Then why don't I come with you? I want to see the mountains," I begged.

"You'll fall way too behind in schoolwork," Igneel shook his head.

I laughed mockingly. "Okay! Then what am I going to do then? Spend four nights at a total stranger's house? Staying here by myself is better than that! At least can I go to Lucy's?"

"No," Igneel said. "You're going to my college roommate's house. He recently moved here, and he's very nice."

"So I am going to some stranger's house," I chided, clenching my teeth together. "That doesn't worry you at all? Me staying four freaking nights with someone you haven't talked to in fifteen years?"

"Silver's about as harmless as it gets," Igneel persuaded. "There's nothing to worry about."

My eyes snapped open and I stared at Igneel like he grew a foot on his forehead. "Did you say... Silver?"