12

Chapter Twelve

Natsu Dragneel

Got a bit carried away, so double update :)

Eyes...?

My mouth dropped open as time stood still and I stared into the unusually wide, dark blue eyes. Light blue, almost white, lined the pupil and gradually deepened to a cobalt colour. Gray cocked his head to the side confusedly, but I didn't notice. I was too entranced by the beauty.

"Natsu! What's wrong?" Gray whipped his head side to side. I couldn't help but notice how lost-puppy-like he looked standing there. A wave passed by, jolting him forward.

"I'm here. Sorry," I chuckled nervously, wading over to him and tapping his shoulder. Gray smiled and raised his hand to adjust his sunglasses- which weren't there. I watched as his face morphed into a state of pure panic as he dropped to the floor and searched for his shades desperately.

"Godamnit," He cursed after a few seconds. "They're totally gone, aren't they?"

"Yep," I responded as nonchalantly as possible.

Gray squeezed his eyes shut, covering his face with his hands. "Don't look, I swear to God. Just take me to my mom," He demanded wryly, letting his shoulders drop.

"What's wrong?" I asked confusedly. "Your eyes are really pretty! What's the big deal?"

"I just don't want you to- wait, what?" Gray stopped mid-stride, voice going higher in embarrassment. "What did you say?"

"Err... what's the big deal?" I guessed meekly.

"No, no, before that," Gray ran a hand through his hair.

"Your eyes are pretty?" I repeated, smiling wide. "Super pretty!"

"You- you really think so?" Gray's voice broke. "N-no one has ever thought my eyes are pretty before. They all- they all teased me."

"Why? They're so...so..." I searched for the right word. "Unique!" I snapped my fingers. "Yeah!"

Suddenly, I felt Gray grab me and pull me into a hug. I tensed up, surprised, and coughed awkwardly. Gray seemed to realize what he was doing and he jumped back like I was a hot coal. "Ah! Sorry. That was weird."

"It's fine," I said warmly. "Let's go find your mom!" I offered, taking his hand and leading him over to the picnic area.

"Okay," Gray agreed happily, rubbing his eyes. "Stupid salt water, making me all teary-eyed," He grumbled.

"Yeah, that's totally it," I retorted, grinning mischievously. Gray only smacked my arm as we left the ocean and crossed the sandy road to where Mika and Silver were sitting and talking. The radio next to them was softly playing an oldie's song.

"Oh, hey guys. Back so soon?" Silver ushered to a spot on the blanket. "We were just about to find everyone for lunch."

"Gray, where are your glasses? Are your eyes okay?" Mika stood up worriedly. "They look red."

"They fell in the water. And I got water in them. It doesn't hurt though," Gray said exasperatedly. "Can I have my spare pair?"

"Yeah, sure," Mika bent over to rummage around in the beach bag. Her face lit up and she pulled out a pair of shades practically identical to the first. "Here, honey, hold out your hand."

Gray complied, and Mika set them in his hands. Gray slipped them on his face and sighed contently. However, I was disappointed that Gray's eyes were no longer visible.

"Y'all can get yourself situated while we go find Ultear and Lyon," Silver stood up and brushed imaginary dust off his pants. Mika nodded and they left, side by side, down the beach.

"Okay, let's see here," I mumbled, opening the cooler. "We have sandwiches, sodas, chips, and potato salad."

"Hit me up with my sandwich and a cola," Gray commanded jokingly, holding out his hands expectantly. I snorted and slammed his sandwich in one hand and shook up the soda inconspicuously can before handing it to him.

"Thank yo-," Gray was cut of by a spray of soda splashing him in the face. "Aahhh! Natsu, you idiot!" He yelled, throwing it to the side. I watched with glee as it began to spill in the sand twenty feet away from us. I began to laugh even harder than I did in the towel incident.

"Here's a- pfft! Towel," I giggled, handing one to him. Gray took it, scowling, and dried himself off irritably. Amidst my laughter, I picked up my own soda can and cracked it open.

Karma was a bitch, really.

"Waaaughhh!" I shouted as soda sprayed on my face. I tried desperately to stop the fizz from shooting out but it simply shot out from under the sides of my hand.

"Karma's a bitch!" Gray chortled, reading my mind.

"Shut up, you jerk," I grumbled.

"Whatever," He replied airily. "Now let's get to it- I bet I can eat my sandwich before you can even swallow your first bite."

"You're so on," I sneered.

Two minutes and thirty-two seconds later, I was flopped on my back, clutching my stomach and groaning. Gray was mimicking my action, staring up into the cloudy sky as well. "Remind me never to go into an eating contest with you again."

"You can say that again," I agreed.

"Remind me never to go into-"

"Yeah, yeah, so funny," I grumbled. "How can I be so full?"

"You ate two sandwiches and half a bag of chips in two minutes," Gray explained cheekily. "You'll probably gain 20 pounds."

"So worth it, because I totally won that one," I cheered.

"Nuh uh," Gray retorted. "I blew you out of the water!"

"You did not!"

"Did so!"

"Why, you-"

"You little-"

"Hey nii-chan! Hi, Na-chan!" Lyon squealed out of nowhere, flipping down between us. "What'cha arguing about?"

"Who ate the most food," Gray explained with a groan. I nodded weakly and turned over.

"Yeah, most of the food's gone now," Ultear noted, picking up the previously-new bag of Doritos. "Thanks for leaving some for us."

"No problem," Gray replied sarcastically.

"Gray! You are all the food?" Mika glared. "Natsu? You too?"

"Um, I was hungry," I cringed. "Very hungry."

"At least we have the jumbo potato salad," Silver joked. "Let's eat, guys."

I sighed and pulled myself up into a slouchy sitting position. "Thanks for the meal," I commented respectfully.

"No problem!" Silver said with his mouth full, a piece of potato already caught in his beard.

"Hon, there's potato salad on your face," Mika said amusedly, pointing to his chin.

"Really? Where?" He attempted to lick it off, but he didn't come close.

"Here, honey," Mika handed him a napkin. "Set a good example for the kids."

Conversation exploded between the joyful family, and I was elated to be able to join in. Yeah, I wish I had siblings. It seems so much more fun.

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun these next few days.

Now if only I could figure out how to stop thinking about Gray's shining blue eyes and the fact I was going to be sleeping in the same room as him tonight.