13

Chapter Thirteen

Natsu Dragneel

A/N: You're welcome :)

After the goofy charade that was called lunchtime with the Fullbuster clan, Gray and I headed out for a walk along the shoreline.

"Don't go too far! We're leaving in an hour!" Mika called out to us as we ditched our towels and threw our shirts back on. I turned around and waved as if to assure her that we'd be fine.

"Your family is really nice," I commented happily, swinging my arms by my side as Gray tapped on his walker alongside me. I felt the cold ocean tide run over my feet and I curled my toes in surprise.

"It's mostly just because you're here," Gray responded honestly. "Usually Ultear and Lyon fight 24/7, and my parents and aunt are usually so busy they don't make much time for us."

"Kinda like my dad. He travels a bunch," I shrugged, knowing how that feels all too well. "So I'm usually home by myself."

"That sucks," Gray mumbled.

"Yeah," I agreed. Well, isn't this the sunshiniest conversation ever?

"Oh crap, you know what I just realized? I have an English essay due Friday!" Gray said suddenly as he smacked his forehead.

"Already did mine," I smirked. "But I do have to finish my History notes. Mr. Dreyar assigns way too much in one night."

"I know, right? Teachers think, 'Oh, you guys have an extra day off? Why don't I give you enough homework so you can spend your one day of relaxation doing 5-page essays and assignments?'" Gray mocked sardonically, waving his hands around for emphasis.

I laughed at how he looked slightly peeved at the idea of spending his afternoon writing an essay. "Hey. When we get back to your house, I'll help you write your essay, and you can help me study the Civil Rights Movement," I offered, grinning, hoping he'd agree.

"Sounds good to me," Gray nodded.

"You know what's funny?" I noticed, staring at my bare feet. When Gray didn't respond with a dumb reply, I took that as the opportunity to continue. "This time last month, you practically hated me. And now here we are, and it feels like I've known you forever."

"Oh no, you've grown soft!" Gray said dramatically, sighing loudly.

I stuck out my tongue and whacked his arm playfully. "Hey! I was being serious!"

"Oh my god! You're being serious? Alert the presses!" Gray joked.

"Shut up," I whined. "I was just making a point there!"

"I know," Gray's mouth turned up into a tiny smile. "And I'm glad we're friends. Because you're not as annoying now. Wait, scratch that. You're still annoying... But just slightly less."

"Aww," I cooed. "You're so sweet."

"I know," Gray scoffed jokingly, easing his hand slowly over my head and ruffling my hair.

"Quit that!" I cried, smacking his hand away. Gray only chuckled in response... And then it went eerily quiet.

Being the ever-so-stupendous extroverted conversationalist I am, I stayed quiet and twiddled with my fingers. I felt a sense of déjà vu wash over me as I thought of when we were walking along the beach a few weeks ago- the first time we ever truly hung out. I blushed at the memory.

Stupid, I scolded myself. You're lucky Gray never sees you blush, because if he did, he'd probably think you were crazy.

But I was crazy... for him.