Chapter 1

"What does it mean to be the best? It means you have to be better than the number two guy. But what gratification is there in that? He's a loser—that's why he's number two." 
― Jarod Kintz

Cas tugged nervously at the end of his sleeve while his bestfriend and roommate Anna Milton was staring him down. He had never in his life been more uncomfortable and he felt the urge to just turn around and walk out the apartment door.

"Now?" she asked "how was it?" her facial expression was tense as she grinned and her eyes were big. He red hair was resting on her tense shoulders and she looked like a lioness ready to jump at her pray. She was waiting for his answer, not his actual answer, but the answer she wanted to hear. She wanted him to tell her that it was amazing and that he had never experienced something better. Truth was, nothing had happened. The most action her friend, Meg, had gotten was a hug when he left. He wasn't interested in her that way, he wasn't interested in any girls that way and he was thinking maybe it was time to tell her. He could lie and tell Anna what she wanted to hear, but he figured Meg would tell her the truth anyway. Nothing happened.

"Anna..." Cas started and looked down at his shoes, they were a pair of old converse, they were once white, but now they had more a greyish tone to them, but he liked them, they were comfortable and he wouldn't trade them for anything "listen, I'm..." Cas sighed and moved his eyes up to meet Anna's "Nothing happened".

He quickly walked past her and into the living room, placing himself on their couch, a brown, leather couch that would make a farting noise every time you moved, which was extremely awkward when you invited new people to come over. Anna turned on her heals and placed her hands on here sides, making her baby blue shirt lift and revealing a small part of her stomach.

"What do you mean nothing happened? She has had an eye for you for, I don't know, forever and you tell me nothing happened. I don't believe it. Spill"

Cas sighed and looked down at his hands, twirling his thumbs and swallowing hard. "I'm telling you, nothing happened, because-" Anna cut him off "because?"

Cas raised his head to look at her and raised one eyebrow "If you would let me finish you'd know"

Anna let her arms fall down and she slowly made her way over to Cas and sat down beside him, she looked at him with concerned eyes "this is really important isn't it?" Cas nodded "I can see it. You're like an open book" she continued and placed one hand around Cas' shoulder.

Cas looked down at his hands again and let out a shaky breath "nothing happened, because-" he stopped himself. How was he going to say it? How would be the right way to say it? Was there a right way? He figured he might as well just say it as it is and get it over with "because, I'm not interested in her that way. Not in any girls, actually... Anna, I'm..." he swallowed hard and Anna pulled him in for a hug.

"I'm so sorry Cas" she said "So, so sorry" she pulled back and looked into his eyes "Why didn't you tell me sooner. If I knew I wouldn't have pushed you into dating Meg. I'm sorry."

Cas chuckled a bit and dried a tear, unaware that he had been crying "It's okay. Don't be sorry. You didn't know."

Anna gave him a reassuring smile "but now I do. And,"  she stood up and almost jumped a little when she did and pointed a finger at Cas "we're going out. We're getting you a hunk"

"Anna I-" she cut him of "No Cas, we are going out. To celebrate"

"Celebrate what?"

She giggled "you coming out. That takes a lot of courage and we are going to celebrate" she reached out a hand "C'mon Cas, it'll be fun. When was the last time you did anything fun?"