Be There (Sam DDM)

You placed your written note onto the coffee maker, putting it in a place you knew that both Sam and Dean would see it.

MY MUSICAL IS AT MY SCHOOL NEXT FRIDAY AT 6:00 PM! BE THERE!

That note sat and got ignored as your dad and uncle were off on another hunting trip. You wandered and practically memorized the entire bunker. You read most of the books that you could. However, you ended up bored. 

You started to practice your songs and dances. You were a senior: you were granted the lead role this year. You would close your eyes as you moved your feet across the floor. You couldn't wait for show night to come. The lights on and focused on you. Not a monster, not a case, only you. You hugged yourself at the thought. It had been difficult recently for your dad and Dean. You knew they would be back by the time the school's musical would be ready to be shown to the audience. They told you they would be back by that Friday. They responded that they were going to see it, even though Dean was still not entirely convinced you could be a theatre kid, let alone the leading role in the entire production. 

The night came. You silently walked back and forth backstage, ready to perform more than anything. Even though you knew you could not find your dad and uncle and possibly Cas, you had that feeling they were in the audience talking about whatever they thought of the musical or you or an upcoming case. It didn't matter; they were still in the chairs in the auditorium. You heard your director announce how pleased of the number of audience members appeared tonight to enjoy the show.

You hit every note and made every step correct, including a dip you and one of your cast members did. A genuine smile plastered on your face the entire time. For bows, you felt as though you could fly with a smile that could not get any bigger. 

However, when you and your cast members ran off the stage and into the hallway, you could feel your heart slowly sink as every person that gave congratulated praise was not Sam, Dean, or Cas. Then, the end of the line came, and you could almost feel tears come to your eyes. A couple of the others in the cast asked if you were okay. You lied and said you were sleep deprived because of tech week still. You did not hesitate to head home after the costumes and props were put away, and makeup was wiped off your face. 

You slammed the bunker's door shut with all of your power, catching all three of their attention. You honestly felt like sobbing as the three men innocently looked at you with confusion. "I ask for nothing! The one time I do, it's so easy to do! I only asked you to come to my musical production as you asked me to stay here nearly every day! I am left alone in this God-forsaking place for how many months out the years! I do the best I can as a student and try my best to act as though I live a normal life! How? Why? Why do you do this to me!? Do you not realize it is important to me?" You shouted before they could say a single word.

You looked at each of their faces with unsure guilt before running down the stairs, heading to your room before you stopped at the opening of the hallway. "I should've known you wouldn't go! The job always comes first! Let someone else deal with it is never an option, is it? Impossible! If the Winchesters don't do nobody will, right? Well, Goddamnit, act as though you're my dad and uncles for fucking once like you're supposed to!" You yelled, feeling the tears trickle down your cheeks.

"Just once," your voice softened so much it almost disappeared, "be there for me even if it seems stupid to you." You finally finished and ran to your room, locking the door behind you. 

The brothers looked at each other with complete shock. "I better-" "I wouldn't, Sam. Talk to her in the morning. Let her have her space." Dean stopped his brother from going to see you.

The next morning you quietly walked into the kitchen with red cheeks and wet eyelashes as you poured a cup of coffee before sitting. "Y/n," your dad cautiously spoke and touched your shoulder as if you were suddenly made of porcelain or glass. You didn't respond, only took a sip from your cup. "Look, I'm sorry about last night." You set your cup down and stood up and walked away from him.

"Y/n, please!" He pleaded for you to listen to him. You spun on your heal to look back at him. "Why? Why should I bother listen? I've already heard and nearly memorized the Winchester apology. I've known it ever since Mom got killed and heard it after each thing you missed after that. I should've known better to think you would show up last night. I'm not apologizing either. You and Dean always put the job first." You stated in an oddly calm voice before spinning back around to your room. Leaving Sam in shock once again.

"How'd it go?" Dean asked as entered the kitchen. "Not much better than last night." Sam admitted. Dean sighed as he sat down. "She'll come around, she's definitely your kid since you acted the same way." Dean stated. "Yeah, but-" "Do you not remember how you and Dad used to argue?" Sam stayed quiet. "I'll talk to her, since she typically listens to one of us." Dean told your dad and grabbed the coffee you left at the table.

He gently knocked on the door before entering. "You left this." Dean said, giving you the cup and sat on your bed with you. "What do you want, Dean?" You questioned. "Me? Let's see, that depends on what me your asking." You gave him a confused look. "If you asked me that a few years ago, I would say a normal, happy, apple pie life. Today," he paused, "there's not much I want to change." He told you. "Your dad was close to getting that life when he left years back when he went to college like a nerd he is." Dean explained. "I forced him back into this life." He added. You looked at him with a blank face, after hearing beginning of a speech you've heard before. Your uncle caught your look. "Yeah, I know you've heard it before." He sassed before sighing.

"This was easier when you were little." He mentioned, mostly to himself. "Sammy is adjusting to angry, hormone filled you. Trust me, that kid's heart is hurting because he's missing your stuff even if he doesn't show it. He just has his mind going crazy all the time about you. Sammy doesn't shut up about you when we go on a case." Dean continued.

"Kinda gets annoying. Then, he comes home to actual you, not little kid that runs up and hugs his legs, and is shot in reality and knows you're not the same. He did actually want to go to your show last night, but it got nasty quick on the case and be hated himself for it." You took a drink of your coffee, holding words back.

"He used to be the same as you." Dean told you. "Always arguing with Dad because we couldn't stay in a town and putting the job before us. He hated the life more than you. That's why your dad went away, to get away from the hunting life."

Sam stood outside your bedroom door as Dean talked to you. "He wants to be here and be with you, but he can't sit forever knowing there's trouble. It's just in our blood." Dean explained. "Do you-" "What do you think," you stopped him from talking. He kissed your forehead. "Go accept the apology from your dad before he comes through the door or bothers me any more." Dean told you.

Sam opened the door and opened his large arms. You rolled your eyes before entering the hug. "I'm sorry." He told you. "I know, I love you, even if you screw up."