Chapter 5 (Encountering the beast)

Inspection of the territory was done. My wolf was agitated, perhaps because he had been contained for a week, so I quickly shifted into my wolf.

He stretched and shaked his fur before darting in the direction of Horsford woods.

My wolf was running so fast that surroundings seemed blurry. Between the trees, jumping up small rocks, crushing dead tree branches, he ran like never before. I was surprised for he had never acted like this.

I was 28 and after searching for my mate in every pack for years, I had relinquished this expedition.

Maybe I wasn't paired with anyone, because if I were I'd have found her, after all I had met every Werewolf female.

My ancestors had been unlucky in this regard, so was I.

I had much more important responsibilities so I had disregarded the thought of a mate.

But my wolf did not.

And then he suddenly stopped. And it seemed like the whole world had stopped.

He raised his snout towards the sky to catch the most amazing scent he had ever smelt. His eyes opening wide as he detected the smell.

It was so powerful yet I could smell a faint smell of humans.

'Humans' it made my wolf huff. I mind-linked my beta.

"Thomas report at Horsford woods.
I smell some humans.
I would like to see their dead bodies before breakfast."

"Roger that." He responded immediately.

They were somewhere around me, but my beta was enough for them.
I had to find the source that was giving off this amazing smell.

'It must be mate.' My wolf filled his nostrils with this scent, which had already become our favourite smell.

I was eager to find her but took small calculated steps because I didn't want to frighten our mate.

It didn't take me long before I saw a pale shadow. I covered the distance between us gradually so she could smell me too, which would lessen the chance of her being scared.

She stopped in a small open space surrounded by bushes.

A low satisfied growl escaped my lips when I saw her in the dim moonlight.

Torch fell from her hand when she sensed me behind him. She turned panickingly.

I saw fright in her eyes and terror written all over her face. That enraged me because these were not the expressions I was anticipating.

My wolf growled in annoyance. She was acting as if she had seen a rogue.

                     ************

I froze as I saw a six feet tall beast standing right in front of me staring straight into my eyes.

He was the most beautiful and the most terrifying creature I had ever seen.

He took a step in my direction, giving a threatening growl.

As soon as I realized the gravity of situation my senses awakened, goosebumps forming all over my body.

I couldn't let this beast tear me apart in the middle of nowhere.

I glanced at my surroundings to look for something to fight with, but there were only stones- stones too big for my might. Besides what were the odds of me overpowering a gigantic wolf.

He motioned towards me displaying his canines.

I didn't know if my trembling legs would cooperate with me but still
I took a decisive step back, two, three, four... and I sprinted in an unknown direction.