12 | Search for the Silver Wolf

XII | SEARCH FOR THE SILVER WOLF

    Kael blew out a heavy breath. After the battle, the medics, who turned out to be students in training, had taken a look at the students' minor injuries. Kael still couldn't believe that he had passed. Now, as he waited in line for his student ID, he looked down at the small aid plasters on his small scratches. The ointments would ensure they would be healed by the end of the day, but he was never good at keeping plasters on his skin, always tempted to peel them off.

    "Kael!" Wynt's voice sounded muffled from the distance, distracting Kael from picking at the bandaids. Wynt caught up with him, looking slightly drained.

    "What's up, Wynt?" Kael greeted with a grin. "I can't believe we passed!"

    Wynt returned Kael's smile. "Yeah, it took a bit of energy from me. It's all thanks to you, really. How'd you think of using another vessel like that? And it wasn't even a weapon. Just a bunch of wooden planks."

    Kael shrugged, not knowing how to respond to the compliment. "I always practiced drawing sigils on leftover wood at my uncle's farm. I didn't know anything other than weapons could be a vessel until I scorched a piece with the sigil I drew."

    "I've never seen people use anything other than weapons or vessels specifically designed for casting," Wynt said. "If you were back at my home, you would have been invited to sit with the elders for a feast. They always appreciate a good head."

    Kael laughed and scratched his head, feeling a bit bashful even though he didn't really understand what Wynt meant by that. "No need to go that far. I was only applying what I knew here. It's nothing, really!"

    "You don't need to be so modest. I'm just giving you credit for what you did. If it weren't for your quick thinking, all the students who passed would've probably failed."

    Kael was about to reply with another denial when the administrator called out in a bored tone. "Kael Smaradine. Step up to receive your student ID."

    Startled, Kael speechlessly obeyed.

    "Stand on that platform there." The administrator pointed at a raised platform in front of the tent wall.

    Kael stepped up and wondered why he had to stand on a pedestal. His question was answered when a bright flash of light left dots in his vision.

    "That's good. Step down and wait for your card."

    Blinking, Kael rubbed his hand and returned to the front of the desk. The administrator took a moment to process the picture and stick it on a handwritten registration card, handing it to Kael as Wynt stepped up for his own picture. Kael's startled face stared back at him, and he scowled.

    They could've warned me.

    He waited while Wynt got his card before they finally went to the market. Different guards were standing in front of the entrance, and the two passed through easily after showing off their new IDs.

    "Wow," Wynt said, excitement clear in the tremble of his voice. "I wonder what they got here. Look at all those souvenirs!"

    Kael's eyes widened as he scoured the market, burning every detail into his memory. Stalls filled with colour decorated either side of him, and streaks of bright banners hung above. The streets bustled with the loud cacophony that usually accompanied a marketplace, reminding Kael much of Trading Week back at home. He reflected that Hont would be getting ready to go soon, and he felt a twinge of regret that he wouldn't be accompanying his uncle for the first time.