49 | Realisation

XLIX | REALISATION

    Kael sat at the steps in front of the Silver Wolf Den with his luggage beside him, waiting for his brother to take him to the port and send him home. It was late in the morning, the sun just about to peak on its daily cycle. The chirps of the birds and lively rustles of leaves and rodents did nothing to lift Kael's spirit.

    He had woken up much later than everyone else, so he wasn't able to see Wynt or the others before they were off for the test. Instead, he had taken his time to take his packed luggage and wait for the lunch break when Kly would be relieved from his duties.

    A few other Silver Wolf first-years who failed also stayed at the dorm, and Kael could now hear them approaching the open door to get outside. He slid to the edge, taking his bags to get out of the way. There was an air of bitterness about them as they passed, and Kael hated that he felt as exhausted and depressed as they did.

    Glumly, he recalled his argument with Wynt and the words everyone had said after the fight. It didn't feel right to leave, but it would be harder to depart later than he needed. He dug into his pocket and drew out his pocket watch, fingering the fine, intricate details of the howling wolf. He flipped it open. Noon. The test was probably on a break now, and Kly was on his way to escort Kael to the port.

    Sighing, he clapped it closed and dropped it back into the pockets of his sleeveless jacket. The weather was much cooler than when he first arrived, and Kael felt a pang in his chest when he realised he wouldn't be able to spend his first autumn and winter away from home.

    Homesickness aside, this was supposed to be an adventurous experience. But no. Here he was, less than six weeks into the school year, and he was already going home. He forced himself to stop thinking about his friends, knowing he would likely cry if he did. Sighing, he dug into his bag and pulled out his stamp, tracing his fingers along the design. He wasn't sure if he'd ever use it again even if he got a license. It would probably act as a constant reminder of his failure. He decided to throw it away on his trip back home.

    When he heard footsteps pounding on the dirt path ahead of him, he glanced up to see if it was his brother. He stood, mindlessly pocketing the stamp, and stepped forward in concern when he saw a boy running to him while clutching at his shoulder like he was in pain.

    "Hey, what's wrong?" Kael abandoned his post and ran to the boy, catching him before he fell to the ground.

    The boy had tears in his eyes, and he pointed behind him with a shaky finger. "A b-blighter! Or, a phantom — something! We have to get out of here!"

    "What?" Kael's eyes widened as he followed the boy's pointed direction. He saw nothing at first, then a mass of tentacles burst through from the trees. He stood, pulling the boy with him towards the den. Manic laughter sounded from the creature's direction.

    A small cluster of students were at the door, peeking from inside to see what the ruckus was about. Kael pushed the boy towards them.

    "Here, take care of him!" Kael said to a girl who took ahold of the blighted boy. "One of you has to go get someone! Run while I distract it!"

    For a moment, they didn't respond, only looking at Kael with mouths gaping in shock. The blighter's body finally came into view, and when Kael turned he saw how massive it was — larger than a bear. And perched on top was a man — no, a phantom.

    "Now!" Kael's shrill yell seemed to snap them out of it. A few students helped the injured kid inside while a fit boy with long legs took off in the direction of the arena.