32 | The Detention Center

XXXII | THE DETENTION CENTER

    Kael burst through the door the cloaked figure had gone through. He looked both ways, trying to figure out where it had gone.

    "Hello!" he yelled. "Where are you? I have some questions. Can you please come out?"

    Nothing. Dust danced in the light, and the trees rustled from behind the windows, but there was nothing else that moved. Kael sighed. He wouldn't catch the cloaked figure so easily. It was stupid of him to even come after it.

    He was about to turn back when the door swung open, hitting Kael so he flew onto the ground.

    "Ow," he murmured, rubbing his cheek. "Be more careful, would you?"

    He looked up, and silently cursed. Before him, Roder stood with fury burning in his dark brown eyes.

    "You got away last time, Smaradine," he said, clenching his fists. "But this time, you won't get off so easy."

    "Did you really chase after me by ditching your class?" Kael asked incredulously, recalling that he had passed by Class 1 Group B's classroom. "What is your deal with me, huh? Why are you always so angry at me? I didn't do anything to you!"

    In fact, they used to be friends. When Kael had first come into Lana and Hont's care, he had made quick friends with Roder. It was after Roder returned from a prestigious junior's caster school in Rubis that he suddenly turned into a bully.

    "You didn't have to do anything to me," Roder retorted. "Your mere existence makes me sick. You should just disappear. Scum like you don't belong here."

    Kael stood up, not backing down. "If you have a problem with me, then just say so. I can't do anything about my existence, so if that bothers you, then just avoid me."

    Roder stepped forward, throwing a quick punch. Kael, taken by surprise, stumbled back from the impact. He tasted metal, and knew his lip was bleeding.

    "You gutrat!" Kael hissed, steadying himself. He shifted his feet, ready to hit Roder back. "You don't have your lackeys with you, Roder, and you know I'll beat you in a fight!"

    Roder smiled. "Who says I'm alone?"

    As if on cue, running footsteps pounded from beyond the open door. Kael hesitated when he saw more of the Noble Monarchs standing behind Roder.

    "How...?" Kael could only utter.

    "They all followed me," Roder said with a smug grin. "They'd ditch class for me, and they'd get rid of you, too."

    There were five of them now including Roder. Kael scanned the crowd, assessing the situation. He wouldn't be able to take them all on. Not only that, but he would likely get in trouble for fighting. He had heard that the Noble Monarchs were able to get away with causing trouble because they were wealthy, but he wasn't sure how correct that rumour was. And he wasn't very keen to find out.

    "You're a coward, Roder," Kael said, gritting his teeth in anger. He regretted running after the cloaked figure. His impulse had once again took him straight to trouble.

    Roder scowled. "Okay, boys," he said, cracking his fingers. "Let's show him where he belongs. Under our shoe."

    They all advanced toward Kael, and he had to step back. He was prepared to stand his ground; he wasn't going to go down without at least defending himself.

    They attacked first. A boy launched his fist at Kael, and the latter ducked underneath, throwing his own into the former's gut. Clenching his injury, he shied away with a groan as his friend took his place.