48 | Decisions

XLVIII | DECISIONS

    When Kael woke up, he found himself on a cot with a dull ache on his left leg. Groaning, he attempted to push himself up. He glimpsed bandages wrapping around his leg and the other side of the wall before seeing Kly next to him.

    "Whoa there, buddy." Kly stood from a stool he was sitting on and pressed Kael back on the cot. The boy didn't have the strength to resist. Sighing, he dropped back onto the pillow.

    "What happened?" Kael asked, his head buzzing and the back of his eyes searing. He rubbed at the pain. "Did I pass?"

    Kly sat back down, keeping his gaze low. "No."

    Kael's heart sank at the news. He'd suspected the blight would disqualify him, but he did have hope that killing the blighter would have given him an exception. Tears of frustration sprang into his eyes, and it took all his energy to keep them back.

    "I'm sorry," he said, rubbing the tears away before they fell. "I'm sorry I failed."

    "There's nothing to be sorry about. You did the best you could. You did great."

    "But I didn't pass!" Frustrated, Kael scrunched the sheets with a strong grip. "What happens when your best isn't good enough, Kly? I'm not good enough."

    Never before had Kael thought he'd miss his aunt's presence so much. Lana would know how to comfort him. Maybe she'd bake his favourite pie to cheer him up. His heart clenched at the thought of how he let more than one person down.

    "Aunt Lana was counting on me," he said, swallowing a painful lump. "I told her not to worry about me. And here I am. Blighted. A failure. Useless."

    "Kael, you can't say that." Sighing, Kly pulled off his hat and ran his hand through his hair. "You're not a failure and you sure aren't useless. Look, I know it's hard for you, but you shouldn't give up on your dream."

    Kael stared at the wooden ceiling, self-loathing and anger filling him. After a moment, he nodded. "I guess you're right. I guess this means I'll be leaving the academy for good."

    "Your friends will be here soon. Lighten up. It's not the end of the world. You're not a failure. Not by a long shot."

    "Thanks, Kly," Kael said, though he didn't feel any better. "When...when do I have to leave?"

    "Kael..." Sucking in a breath, Kly relented. "You can leave whenever you want. Normally, expelled students are required to leave by the end of the week, but you're welcome to leave earlier if you want. I'm really sorry. If there was a way to stop this, I would —"

    "I'll leave tomorrow," Kael said.

    "What?"

    "I'll leave tomorrow." Swallowing, Kael took a deep breath. "I can't stay here knowing I failed. I have to go and practice. That's what I'll do. I'll leave and find someone who can teach me how to cast. I'll join a guild or-or-or something. I don't know. But I have to do something about it."

    "Kael, you should think about this," Kly advised. "Don't just rush into it. At least spend more time with your friends, think of other alternatives, you know? If it makes you feel better, I'll talk to the schoolmaster about it."

    Kael could hear the doubt in Kly's voice all too clearly. His brother wouldn't be able to do anything about his expulsion, no matter how capable he was. "Fine. I'll think about it. But I'm not going to stay the whole week."