20 | Doctor Blue

XX | DOCTOR BLUE

The cries of the students sitting at the very front of the classroom were the beginnings of a growing panic among the students of Class 1: Group A. Somehow, Kael wasn't surprised that Nox had simply released three blighters into the classroom without a care instead of demonstrating whatever he was trying to teach with them in the cages.

"What should we do?" Fadhia said with her hands over her mouth in shock. "Do you think this is a test?"

More panic seemed to spread when red sirens blared, turning the room into a mess of epileptic flashing. Students stood, chairs toppled over, and the excited atmosphere seemed to encourage the blighters to move around sporadically.

Bars fell over the door, leaving the students trapped inside. The first student that reached the door grabbed the metal bars and cried out helplessly.

"We need to do something!" Kael shouted over the chaos.

By this point, everyone was on their feet. Kael felt someone tug him to the side. His eyes widened when a blighter's tentacle stuck to the desk behind him, inches away from his face.

"Thanks," he said, stumbling back to be in line with Rita.

"Don't mention it," Rita growled. "What the hell are the teachers doing?"

The blighter that attacked Kael swung forward, using its tentacle like a grappling hook, and landed on Kael's desk. It was small, only about twice as large as Kael's fists. Kael figured it must have been a mouse or some other rodent. Still, as a blighter, its size was the last thing he cared about.

"Uh oh," Rita said, as the two backed away. "This is bad. How are we supposed to kill it without casting?"

Her question was answered when a large book slammed down on the blighter. Black gunk splattered on Kael's desk, and he wasn't happy to see it stain his papers - and all his notes.

"That'll work."

"And there goes all my notes."

"Nice job, Tyra," Fadhia cheered. Wynt had somehow ended up next to her. Judging by the he rubbed his head, Kael guessed he'd been pulled over his desk and had fallen to the ground on their side.

Tyra picked up her book, stretching the blighter's slimy body until it snapped in half to release the thick volume of text. She didn't seem to mind, however, as she simply tucked it under her arm and turned to look at the expanse of the classroom.

Nox was simply leaning against the chalkboard, yawning into his hand while Darron took charge in getting the students at the door in order. The other two blighters still flitted around - one was probably a bird and the other some kind of rodent.

Before they could even blink, a blur of blue, red, and gray whooshed into the air and struck down the flying blighter. With an otherworldly screech, the blighter's tentacles went limp, and it fell to the ground with a wet splat.

Garun landed on a crouch next to it, the ends his red scarf fluttering down to the ground. He stood, twirling a long pole in his hand before sticking it through a scabbard-like covering on his back.

Kael didn't even realise he had stepped ahead until he felt a hand on his shoulder. He glanced over and saw Rita's concerned expression.

"Where are you going, duke?" she asked. Her hazel eyes seemed to darken in concern.

"I, um..." Kael's gaze flicked over to Garun before going back to Rita. He shrugged. He had wanted to help, but he didn't know what he was going to do. "I'm not really sure."