28 | Aftermath

XXVIII | AFTERMATH

    Kly felt the familiar discomfort in his arm that usually acted as the harbinger of immeasurable pain. He nodded at a few students passing by but didn't offer them the bright smile he usually did. Cold sweat broke out, and he tensed just in time for the fire to shoot through his forearm.

    He breathed in deeply, trying to maintain his composure in the corridors of the education building. He couldn't be seen collapsing from pain in front of all these students. And it wouldn't do him good to attract unwarranted attention.

    The sea of students made it more difficult for him to escape outside. He fought the urge to grab at the source of the pain and cry in agony. Already, sweat was trickling down his temple.

    He pulled down his hat to shadow his face. It didn't do anything to hide his identity, not when everyone knew he always wore black. His trench coat was a deadringer on its own. But the least he could do was try to be as inconspicuous about the silent agony as possible.

    "Proctor Kly!"

    Kly winced when he heard the familiar voice of one of the students dorming at the Silver Wolf. He blinked back the tears of pain and halted.

    A third-year girl bounced over to him with a bright smile.

    Kly cleared his throat to make sure he sounded as normal as possible. "What is it?" He resisted the urge to hiss as a sudden wave shuddered through his body.

    The girl studied him with wide eyes. "Proctor, is something wrong? You're shivering."

    She reached out, and it was all Kly could do to not whip her away when she almost touched his throbbing arm. He pulled it back behind him before she could touch him, and she awkwardly drew her hand back. But he didn't care. Not now.

    "I'm fine, Thaissa," Kly said. "Do you have a problem?"

    She frowned. "It's Thalia. And no, not really. I was just saying hi."

    "I'm sorry, Thalia, but I'm a little busy at the moment. I'll see you later."

    She pouted slightly. "Oh, okay."

    "Good day," Kly said, not sparing her another glance as he rushed ahead. He had no time for idle chit chat. He needed to see Blue. A strained curse left his lips when the searing fire intensified, and he had to lean against the wall to catch his breath. The pain got worse every time it returned. He was sure he could handle it just fine when it first started, but now, it was getting excruciating.

    "Dammit," he muttered, watching sweat falling to the ground.

    He squeezed his eyes until the pain lessened just a little before straightening and continuing his walk. He had no time to worry about who had seen him. He just needed to get some painkillers from the infirmary. He tried to think of a way to explain to Blue about his reasons for the painkillers without explicitly telling him the problem.

    He finally made it outside, but the garden seemed a mile long. He briefly wondered if he should stake out the pain before attempting to go across, but decided against it. It wouldn't do him any good if Kael saw him in this state. His brother would only worry.

    Sucking in a breath, Kly strode as fast as he could across the garden. It was just his luck when he bumped into Schoolmaster Reverdan there, chatting with his ever-present companion, Silevan.

    When Reverdan saw Kly, he smiled warmly. "Ah, Kly. What brings you to the garden?"

    Kly silently cursed. He forced a smile but didn't have the energy to care if it looked convincing. "I was on my way to the administration building. The garden is a much shorter route, and I do enjoy the flowers."