Chapter 1

Minnie rushed through the streets, slipping slightly on the cobbly road and ignoring the shouts from behind her, ordering her to slow down.

"You'll break your neck." The voice moaned, but she did not listen. She skidded around the corner and made her way down the adjoining street. The little 13 year old's legs were aching but she pushed on, not wanting to stop. 

As she neared the end of the road she could hear the roar of truck engines. She grinned widely but suddenly slipped over and her knees landed painfully on the cobbles. Tears sprang to her eyes as she gritted her teeth and pushed herself back up. Her face was red with embarrassment as a couple of the local boys laughed.

She ran just a little slower this time. As she reached the corner of the road she smiled again as she heard the uproar. Everything came into view, roughly 10 Army trucks lined the street, men, women and children all shouting, laughing and crying all over.

Minnie's eyes scanned the crowd, looking for that familiar face. She pushed her way through, becoming slightly worried that he might not even be there. She came to the last couple of trucks, looking at all of the mens faces. 

She spotted a dark haired man standing away from the group, back turned. He was smoking, looking off down the road towards the canal. Her smile widened and, as if in slow motion, she ran towards the man shouting,

"Dad!" The man turned towards the voice and her body slammed into him full force as her arms circled his waist. Her tears leaked out onto his green shirt as his arms enveloped her and he muttered,

"Minnie." She instantly felt safe again. Her dad, Thomas Michael Shelby, was back and she would make sure he never left again.