Chapter 22

The weeks leading up to the wedding passed by in a whirlwind of meetings and wedding plans. They were the best weeks of Minnie's life and both her and Ronny had thoroughly enjoyed their days in London each week. They went to museums, theatres, restaurants, shopping and her favourite was taking long walks through the park in the evening sun. Only four days left and they were to be married in a beautiful church surrounded by family and friends.

They were currently down in London again sorting meetings for potential clients and the usual. Ronny had been with Minnie in every meeting and he had only needed to pull his gun out once so far, when some London nobody tried to get cocky.

The idea of having a family was all too real now and Minnie had thought a lot about the baby in the last few weeks. She was going to tell Ronny on their wedding night, he had mentioned children a few times recently, so she knew he would be happy. It would be the perfect wedding present for him.

"Dad, everything's fine, honestly... It was just some low life... I don't know!... Okay, see you soon... Love you too." She placed the phone back on the stand and turned around to see Ronny leaning against a door frame with a smirk on his face.

"What?" Minnie questioned, eyebrow raised. He moved forward and slipped his arms around her waist.

"You're going to be my wife on Saturday." He muttered, pushing his face into her hair, nipping her ear. She rolled her eyes with a laugh.

"I am well aware. Don't let aunt Ada see you doing that." Minnie giggled. She turned around in his arms and kissed him lightly before moving away. "I said we would look after Karl tonight, Ada wants to go out with some work friends." 

"Alright, he's a nice lad." Ronny took her hand and pulled her towards the stairs. "But right now there is no one here except us, so lets have a bit of fun." He smirked and the musical sound of laughter filled the air as they ran up the steps.

Minnie traced a finger across his bare chest as they lay in the bed. They would be in serious trouble if they were found together but they were careful.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?" She grinned, staring into Ronny's eyes.

"Hmm, you may have mentioned it once or twice." He chuckled and rolled onto his side to get a better look at his girlfriend. "But I still haven't heard it enough yet."

"I love you, I love you, I love you." Minnie whispered and caught his lips with hers. 

"That's better." Ronny murmured. He placed a hand on her cheek and they lay together for a few more minutes in comfortable silence.

"Dad is coming to London tomorrow, he's going to spend the night here before we all go back to Birmingham for the wedding." Minnie slid out from under the sheets and pulled on her gown. 

"Alright." Came the answer from the bed.

"Come on, Ada will be back any minute." She chucked a pair of trousers and a shirt across the room before moving into the bathroom.

"When we live together we are never leaving the bed." Ronny shouted and Minnie agreed.

"We've got a long wait yet though. At least we have the honeymoon to look forward to." They were going to be travelling around Scotland for two weeks. Moving around the highlands with the beautiful lochs and views to die for. It was a place Ronny had always wanted to go but never had the money or the chance and Minnie liked the idea so she agreed.

Later on that afternoon they sat in the living room watching Karl play with some toy horses. The fire was roaring in the hearth and they were both enjoying a glass of red fruity wine whilst sat on the sofa. A gramophone was playing quietly in the corner as they discussed last minute details of their big day.