Chapter 14

"Minnie! Come down and sit with Michael, family meeting." Her ears perked up as she heard her father's voice and placed her book down before making her way downstairs.

By the time she had got down there Michael was sat at the table alone.

"They locked the door." He pointed to the large double doors which connected the house to the shop.

"Probably Polly's idea. She doesn't want you involved in the business." She smiled at her cousin and sat down. "How's everything? Are you enjoying it here?"

"I don't mind it. Its nice to know you all again, properly. It's different here."

"There's no surprise." Minnie scoffed. "This is a mad house and a mad family." Michael looked over at the doors.

"What do you think they are talking about in there?" Minnie raised an eyebrow at him and stood, holding out a hand.

"Want to listen?" She smirked. He jumped up and they pushed their ears against the wood.

"Death threat-"

"Protection-" Minnie stood back and looked around the door frame, she grabbed the key off the hook and opened the door as quietly as she could, only opening it a crack so they could listen.

"So your going to close up shop, go out on a piss up and blow 1,000 guineas on a horse that's not even whole Arab!" Polly fumed, pacing across the room.

Curly laughed childishly, "Quarter Arab is better. Quarter Arab means-" They both crept through the door and smiled at John when he saw them.

"Curly, shut up." Polly glared and Curly stood back, looking defeated. She turned and noticed the door before narrowing her eyes at John.

"I thought I told you to lock that door."

"He did." Michael stepped forward.

"I used the key off the hook." Minnie held up the key, letting it dangle from her finger, her dad didn't look too pleased.

"Look, I've been listening. I want to go with them."

"You see!" Polly threw her hands up in frustration.

"I love horses. I could even help."

"Over my dead body." Polly bit back, clearly not wanting her son to be in danger.

"It'll be alright Mum." The boy insisted. "I've been to loads of horse auctions before with my uncle. They're very respectable. People bring their butlers."

"Yeah, and their posh wives." Arthur nodded.

"And their mistresses." John bumped his arm against Michael who smiled in return.

"Let him come, Polly." Arthur reasoned. "We'll go there, buy an 'orse, come back."

"I'll drop him back at the house in Sutton before it gets dark." John added.

"No."

"I get to go Aunt Pol! I'm younger than Michael." Minnie tried, hoping Polly would say yes.

Polly shook her head, looking at her son. "Fucking no." Michael huffed and turned away, throwing papers on the floor before slamming the door on his way out.

A few seconds of silence settled before Tommy clapped his hands.

"Right, that's it. Back to work. Come on." John took Polly to the side, clearly to talk to her about Michael.

"Who said you were coming anyway?" Tommy looked at Minnie, cigarette in hand.

"I did." She puffed out her chest and walked past him, hearing a chuckle as she left.