Chapter 11

Everyone was gathered around Freddie's grave, many people were there, which included both families and a lot of communist friends Freddie had over the years.

The priest was saying a few words over the grave as Freddie's coffin was lowered down. Finn peered over and Minnie yanked him back by the shoulder, giving him a stern look.

Tommy cleared his throat and everyone looked his way, waiting to hear him.

"I promised my friend Freddie Thorne that I would say a few words over his grave if he should pass before me. I made this promise before he became my brother in law, when we were in France fighting for the King." Tommy took a few seconds, in which Arthur proclaimed,

"Amen." With a nod of his head.

"But war didn't take Freddie, Pestilence took him. But Freddie passed on his spirit and soul to a new generation before he was cruelly taken." Minnie smiled down at her little cousin who stood beside her, clutching Adas hand.

John was rocking his baby, trying to shush him as he cried, some of the mourners didn't seem pleased.

As Tommy finished speaking people threw handfuls of soil into the grave, speaking words of sorrow or making religious signs.

Afterwards they all started walking back to the 4 large cars that awaited the Shelby family, the chauffeurs stood to attention as they saw the family coming, waiting for their next instruction.

"They were nice words dad, you did well."

"Thank you Min." Tommy muttered through the cigarette between his lips. They both caught up with Ada and Tommy put a hand lightly on her elbow.

"Ada, I want to talk." She turned and nodded before following them down the path, away from the crowd.

"What is it you want Tommy?" Minnie looked at Ada and saw sadness in her features but no tears, Minnie assumed she had run dry.

"How is the boy taking it?" Ada dismissed this with a wave of a hand.

"He's fine. When he asks I resort to saying 'heaven'."

"Are you okay though, Ada?" Minnie asked. Ada just simply smiled sadly and gave her hand a squeeze.

"We thought now Freddie's gone, you might move back to Birmingham." Tommy suggested. Ada looked behind her, at the crowd.

"Do you know how funny it is that you've got chauffeurs in uniform now?" She spoke incredulously.

"It's only for the occasion Ada." Tommy took a drag of his cigarette.

"Do you know how unfair it is that you've got four Bugattis when half the country is starving?"

"So they've made you ashamed of us, eh?" Minnie looked across at the people Tommy was talking about, the Communists.

"Sometimes when I think about how I used to be, it makes me embarrassed." Ada spoke soflty, almost regretting her words.

Minnie noticed Polly making her way over, Ada looked at her silently wondering where her son was.

"Karl is with his cousins, I caught him trying to steal flowers off a grave." Minnie laughed lightly at that, along with Polly. "Ada, are you coming home?"

"I'm going home." Ada turned to the side, as if to leave and Polly opened her mouth.

"It's alright Pol. We make Ada embarrassed."

"Thats not what she said Dad." Minnie sighed. Ada looked at her gratefully.

"There's another reason we want you home Ada, we're planning an expansion." Realisation dawned on Adas face,