Chapter 2 - One Year Later

About a year later, Minnie sat in the pub, The Garrison, with her dad. She never knew what to think about the fact that everyone was scared of her family, her father in particular. They were a bit when she was younger, but it was different now. Ever since they all came back from the war, it's like they had to prove themselves, make sure everyone knew who ran this place. Arthur always tried to be bigger and better than Tommy, but he just was without even trying.

Her father was speaking to Freddie Thorne. It didn't sound like a nice conversation, but she didn't see the point in listening in. She was too busy watching everyone else in the mirror behind the bar, it was pretty boring sometimes being with her dad, but she liked any time she could spend with him, because these days it didn't seem to be much at all.

Suddenly there was a bang and Minnie jumped up as a man came running into the pub shouting,

"They're coming to get me!" Over and over again. This was Danny 'Wizzbang' Owen, he seemed pretty disturbed in the head. Minnie was a bit scared of the man. He smashed glasses and three tables were thrown over before Tommy jumped off the stool with Freddie and they got him on the ground, trying to calm him down.

"It's alright Danny, we aren't in France anymore. We are home Danny, all of us. Calm down." He kept talking until finally Danny stopped and they all stood up together. He looked really embarrassed.

"I did it again didn't I." He spoke. Tommy nodded and they told him to go home to his wife and boys. The barman, Harry, did not look happy.

"He's got to stop doing this Tommy." He groaned. Freddie shook his head as they made their way back to their seats.

"Well that was unexpected." Minnie chipped in. Tommy looked over at her and told her to finish her drink. Freddie was moaning about how the pub shouldn't deal with this, they pay the Peaky Blinders for protection...

"Come on." Tommy stood with Minnie and they made their way out of the Pub. "Send the bill to the Peaky Blinders." He spoke over his shoulder as they left. It was about a 10 minute walk back home.

"Do you think he will ever stop dad?"

"I doubt it Min, that's what the war did to people. It messed them up." She just nodded sadly and sent a meaningful look to her father, which he did not notice.

"I know." She muttered. When they made it home she helped Polly with the washing and cooking before everyone got back.

"Danny came in the Garrison earlier, he had another funny turn." Minnie spoke as she folded a large sheet. Polly sighed and shook her head slightly.

"Them men went through hell over in France. I'm surprised they aren't all like that. Your father, Danny and Freddie did a horrible, dirty job. Those tunnels were probably worse than fighting in the trenches."

"Dad never talks about any of that, but something changed." Polly rubbed a hand on Minnie's arm as she passed. "He barely looks at me Polly, I can see the look in his eyes everytime he does. It's like i'm hurting him."

"You look a lot like your mother Minnie. That's probably painful for him." Minnie carried on with the washing for a while as Polly prepared some broth for their dinner. She was right, Minnie did look like her mother. Her dark hair hung in waves down her back, no one would let her cut it because they all said it was too beautiful. She even tried going herself once, but her family had gone as far as to threaten the hairdresser so she wouldn't do it for her. Her deep green eyes shone in the light, just like her mothers did and her skin had a slight sun kissed glow about it. She maybe had her fathers stern features, a bit, but that was about it from him.

Minnie did enjoy her life. She did not have many friends, but she preferred her family anyway. Ada was more like a best friend than an auntie, her uncles were like brothers to her. They were a close family, and she liked that. She learnt about the books from a small age and didn't mind working in the shop. She liked the buzz when it was busy and could handle herself when people became rude, which was rare. Most of them knew what would happen if they bothered.