2.

Tony enters the communal kitchen with Sara's fixed phone, Clint and Natasha are both sat in the small corner used for their culinary books, most have never been read, they are both watching Sara, Tony raises an eyebrow and moves to the two agents, Clint looks to him.

"She bakes?" Clint asks watching Sara pulls a pie out of the oven, Tony hums at his side.

"It's what she does when she's emotional, it helps her work through things" Tony looks to Clint. "What is it?"

"Cinnamon apple" Natasha answers. "One pie isn't going to be enough for all of us" Tony chuckles.

"Oh Red" he teases. "We aren't getting any of that pie" Natasha raises an eyebrow. "It's her comfort blanket, she'll eat it all....herself"

"I'll make another" Sara states across the room, lifting her head from her journal to look at them. "It's fine....I'm not ready to stop yet" she looks to Tony who offers her a small smile and then holds up the new cell phone.

"I fixed it" he tells her and moves to where she stands.

"Thank you" she whispers taking it from him and turning it on, before setting it on the side and going back to her journal where the recipe sits, no matter how many times she bakes it, she checks it every time, just to be sure. Maria's handwriting has faded a little over the years but it is still there on the first page, her 'mother's' handwriting. Maria and Howard had given her the journal the Christmas before their death, so she cherishes it, and over the years more and more and more pages have been glued into the back, and loose pages slotted into it, post-it notes, photos....everything from her life since 1991. Tony touches the pages and smiles tracing his mother's handwriting.

"Do you need anything?" Tony asks pulling his hand back.

"I could do with some space" she whispers. "They have eyes like needles" Tony nods and pats her hand.

"I've got it" he tells her warmly before heading to Natasha and Clint, to persuade them to leave Sara alone.

...............

Bucky is lingering again, drawn in by the smell, cinnamon apple pie, it had triggered something, a memory from his childhood, from when he used to spend time at Steve's house and his mother had baked pie. He used to love that smell. He supposes he still does. He watches Tony, Natasha and Clint leave talking with one another. Bucky shifts his eyes back to Sara as she lays the pastry over the top of the pie. Her cell phone rings and she glances to it, her softened features turn sad.

"Sorry, Sammy" she states and then declines the call. Egg washes the pastry layer and then lifts the dish, Bucky takes a breath and then steps forward, he can talk to her, apologise for being creepy earlier, he's not a creepy guy, okay, well he is. He should probably apologise for killing her father too. If she knows about that of course, if not why poke the hornet's nest.

"I don't think any one has used this kitchen before" Bucky informs. Sara jumps and drops the pie dish in her hand, it shatters on the floor and she sighs. "I'm sorry" Bucky offers with a grumble. "I didn't mean" he pauses. "....I scared you"

"You just surprised me that's all" She corrects looking down at the ruined pie. She sighs and blows a strand of hair out of her face. "Pie" she whispers and then crouches to clean it up.

"You already made one" Bucky points out, Sara nods and looks to the first pie.

"Yes, I did" she agrees. "But if I don't make another one.....I'll have to share that one" she looks up at Bucky and smirks a little. "I really want that pie to myself" he watches her as she sighs slightly. "I'll just go to the store" she complains standing and disposing of the broken dish. "You can help" she offers, Bucky shakes his head.

"I don't leave the tower" Bucky tells her, she cocks her head.

"At all?" she asks, he shakes his head.

"No" he answers quickly. "I don't leave the tower" he repeats. She crosses her arms over her chest and looks to him.

"When was the last time you saw New York?" she asks. "The 40's? The world has changed, Sergeant" he takes a breath and looks to her. "I'm only going to the store down the street, 30 minutes" he watches her, battling with his own mind, part of him arguing with the other before he decides.

"I can't" he admits backing away. "I just....can't" he turns and walks away.

"Your loss" she counters grabbing her cell phone from the side as it rings again. Bucky stops and watches Sara as she stares at the phone before pressing decline.

..................

Sara blows a strand of hair from her eyes as she grabs the pie dish from the kitchen counter and turns to the rest of the room, most of the Avengers are sat together around a huge table Thor had carried in, Bucky is sat as far as he can get away from Tony and Rhodey, actually the table is pretty much split Team Iron Man and Team Cap, with poor Bruce and Thor in the middle.

"The apples weren't good enough so I had to make cherry instead" Sara states setting the cherry pie on the table and then turns and grabs a bowl from the counter behind her. "And I made maple pecan ice cream" she adds setting the bowl on the table.

"You made ice cream?" Wanda asks. "Like made it made it? From scratch?"

"Yes" Sara answers. "There are cupcakes and truffles and eclairs and breads" she motions to the trays and stands on the counter. "And a few different ice creams....."

"Okay" Tony stands and grabs Sara's shoulders. "Here we go" he turns her and sets her in an empty chair at the table. "You need to slow down...and take a breath"

"Yeah, I'm exhausted listening to you" Clint offers, Sara sets her hands in her lap and takes a breath. "You did all that in one day?"

"Started at 7am" Sara answers. "I took a break at lunch time....."

"Yeah, tell them what you did" Tony pushes, Sara sighs.

"I spent an hour in the gym" she tells. Tony nods and looks to the others. Steve and Bucky smirk a little, Natasha chuckles and Wanda smiles.

"Exhausted" Clint repeats with a smirk. Tony looks back to Sara.

"Sit and enjoy the food that you made" he tells her before moving back to his own seat. Sara reaches for the fork by her plate and adjusts it's position as the others dig in, talking among one another. Tony takes her hand and raises an eyebrow at her, she nods a little and pulls her hand back. Bucky watches her from a curtain of his hair, she seems to smile all the time, but there is pain and hurt etched into her features, it's the same when he looks at Steve so he knows the look. Sara takes a breath and looks up.

"Wait" Sara states. Tony groans and hangs his head.

"No, Sara" he complains.

"What?" Steve asks. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing" Sara answers. "But..." she sighs and looks to the faces around the table, self-doubt setting in.

"She wants to say grace" Tony answers for her.

"You're religious?" Sam asks smirking away at Tony.

"I'm not" Tony answers. "She is" he nods to Sara. "Which is actually hilarious if you knew her" he mumbles under his breath.

"It's fine" Sara offers. "You don't have to..."

"I wouldn't mind doing it" Steve admits. "I'm ashamed to admit it's been a while...." Steve looks to Sara and smiles, she looks to Tony who grumbles under his breath. Steve sets his hands on the table in prayer position as Sara does. Bucky looks to his best friend, unsure if he should join in, unsure if he is worthy of talking to God after all he has done. The others all sit slightly amused watching. Steve feeling Bucky's look nods a little and Bucky looks to his metal hand before clasping it with his human one. Sara glances to him and his eyes find hers, she offers him a smile and then looks away.