33.

Bucky sets a coffee and some toast on the bedside table before turning to Sara who is curled up in his bed, Tony had warned Bucky when they'd returned that Sara doesn't deal with death very well and the best thing for him to do is to let her get on with it on her own, just to make sure that she eats and drinks and showers. He sits on the bed and sets his hand on her waist, she opens her eyes to look at him.

"You gonna eat something, honey?" he asks her. She shrugs. "I know you're upset" he whispers softly.

"Is this what it's going to be like?" she asks him back. "The people around me dying.....how long till it's Tony?" he voice breaks with emotion. "Or you?" she starts to cry. "I don't want to live like this" she admits sadly. "I'm not even meant to be here.....just some....science experiment that went wrong" Bucky climbs onto the bed with her.

"Hey" he scolds wrapping his arms around her pulling her closer to his chest. "You are more then that" he assures her.

"No, Bucky, I'm not" she argues. "I was supposed to be born....a copy of Steve, I was supposed to die with all the other clones....." he presses his lips to her shoulder.

"Howard saved you" he corrects.

"Did he?" she asks quietly. Bucky closes his eyes sadly, he knows this is just her dealing, but it still makes him feel sad. She clutches to his arm around her, keeping him close. He kisses her head.

....................

It's another week before Sara leaves her bed, and even then it's to shower and to eat, Bucky had managed to get her to eat 5 days ago, some soup and crackers, but she's slowly getting there. Bucky looks up from where he's eating his own breakfast and smiles softly at her, Sara moves to him and sets her head on his shoulder wrapping her arms around him.

"'M sorry" she mumbles, he wraps an arm around her waist.

"It's okay, honey" he assures her. "You grieve how ever you need" she snuggles into him. The second part of her process is being overly affectionate, Tony warned that he once had to lock himself in a cupboard to stop Sara from hugging him. Fact. True, Bucky checked with Pepper. Tony had actually been glad for Bucky this time, knowing that that affection will pass over Tony and onto Bucky. It's her need to have those she loves close to her. Those she is worried about. "You want some toast?" he asks, she shakes her head.

"I don't think I could eat" she admits. Behind them the apartment door opens and Steve and Sam walk in together. Both dressed up, a little more then casual. Now that Sara takes note, so is Bucky. And if she was in the right mind she'd probably ask about it. She pulls away from Bucky and tries to put on a brave welcoming smile. Steve doesn't hesitate, he just pulls Sara into a hug, his arms tight around her as he kisses her head. He shares a look with Bucky who runs his fingers through his hair as he stands. Bucky had decided to swaddle Sara in affection, so he called in reinforcements. Steve and Sam are the first to arrive. Steve has come to see Sara as a sister in the months leading up to this. Coffee. Sparing. Church. They've bonded. Behind Sam, Wanda and Vision join them, walking with Peter, Pepper and Tony. Bruce and Thor are last, they'd somehow managed to fit Thor into a white shirt and black blazer. Sara looks to them all as Wanda her Sara into a hug and strokes her fingers down her back comforting her.

"What are you all doing here?" Sara asks.

"We're going to go to church" Steve tells Sara who sniffles and pulls back from Wanda.

"You are?" she asks.

"We're all going" Wanda offers. "You included"

"But you're Jewish" Sara reminds Wanda.

"I can go to support you" Wanda argues. "God will understand" Sara looks down a little getting upset again. Bucky kisses her head.

"Why don't you get changed?" he asks her softly. "We'll wait for you" she nods and then walks away, leaving the room. Bucky lets out a breath.

"She's so upset" Peter whispers.

"Bobby meant a lot to her" Pepper points out. "Plus with Castiel....disappearing"

"Dissolving" Bucky corrects. Pepper nods.

"It must be hard" Steve offers pulling on his jacket. "We've spoke, and they've all lost...." he shakes his head. "We all have" it's why they're all here, because they all understand loss. Sara rejoins them, dressed up for church, she moves to Bucky's side and takes his hand, he looks down at her.

"You ready, Honey?" Bucky asks, Sara nods and gives him a smile, despite the hurt on her features. Because she knows he's trying his best. He's trying to make her feel better. She leans up and kisses him softly.

"Thank you" she whispers when she pulls back. He knows what she's thanking him for, he presses his forehead to hers.

.................

Bucky's first time in church since before the war is an experience. He's forgotten how beautiful these places can be. The stained glass. The columns and stone work. And he didn't get zapped with lightning for stepping foot on holy ground so maybe he's not beyond redemption after all. He glances to Sara at his side. Her eyes shift to him and she smiles, more genuine this time, warm and loving. They share a look and he smiles back taking her hand in her lap.

"I love you" he assures her, she nods.

"I love you too" she counters and leans closer to kiss him softly. He moves his arm to rest around her shoulders pulling her into his side. "Thank you for coming with me" she whisper.

"I'd do anything for you" he admits softly, honestly he would do absolutely anything for this woman. Hell, he's pretty sure he'd murder the world for her if she asked him to. Yeah, this is the one. She is the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with, no matter how long that is going to be, he wants to be with her.