35.

A/n - oh boy this chapter ran away with me a bit...whoops. 

Sara says yes when he asks her. Of course she does she utterly adores the man, she loves him and really does want to spend the rest of her life with him, she'd be crazy not to. But the ring is something she'll be talking with him about. It's one of those plastic ones, the ones from the toy eggs in vending machines. She knows there is more to it though. He waved her off and promised to tell her later. Bucky asked Sara to marry him as they're sneaked around the evil lair. Whispered it in her ear, breathy and warm. It was the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for her. Then Tony manages to throw together an engagement party within two days. And here they stand, together. Bucky's hand on her waist as he talks with Steve and Sam, Steve's arm around Sara's shoulders as he smiles down at her. She's one of them now. Bucky's girl. Steve shoves Sam a little as he laughs, clutching his ribs as he doubles over, Bucky smirks and snorts his laugh as Sara leans into his arm, her own meandering around his back. He kisses her head and smiles. She'd said yes. She wants to marry him. She wants to be his wife. He's over the freakin' moon. Steve goes to say something else but cuts off, he's staring at something over Sara's shoulder and she frowns before turning before Steve can stop her. Bucky follows her eyes and raises an eyebrow. Sam and Dean Winchester. Both stood in suits. Dressed up and both of them have seen Sara, Dean waves his fingers at her, she smiles a little back, but it's tense and strained. What is he doing here?

"Sara" Bucky states at her side. "We should.." he nods towards them, she nods in agreement and lets him take her hand, she's not sure she could approach them on her own, she needs him by her side. Dean stands up taller and takes a deep breath as they approach him, his smile sliding onto his face, just as fake as Sara's.

"Congratulations" Dean offers motioning to the ring on Sara's finger, she nods and smiles.

"Thank you" she whispers as Bucky wraps his arm around her waist. Dean can't take his eyes off of Sara. They were together for almost five years why the hell didn't he think of proposing to her? All that time they had together and he couldn't do this for her. Not like Bucky can. Sam pulls Sara into a hug, both making up for the last year. Though they've spoken on the phone it's not the same as in person and she's missed her friend. He then pulls back and smiles at Bucky whilst offering his hand. Bucky shakes Sam's hand.

"Congratulations" Sam offers warmly. "I'm so happy for you both"

"Thanks" Bucky responds looking to Sara who smiles back at him.

"Drink?" Dean asks, Sam nods.

"Bar's this way" Sara offers looking to Dean and thumbing over her shoulder, they share a look.

"Lead the way" he comments, she touches Bucky's arm and walks away with Dean, Bucky clenches his jaw a little.

"Didn't know your brother was back" Bucky offers, Sam shrugs.

"Literally the last few days" Sam admits. "It's not a problem, right? We can go"

"No" Bucky argues. "Sara wants you here and I'm not going to make a scene, not tonight" Sam hums in agreement.

"She looks really happy, you know, with you" Sam assures Bucky.

"Hope so" Bucky mumbles to himself turning to watch Sara at the bar and with Dean.

..............

After Dean's arrival, Sara's on edge, nervous and off. Bucky tries to keep her involved in conversations, so do the others but she can't keep up. She kisses Bucky's cheek touching his chest.

"I need some air," she tells him and then walks away, he frowns watching her retreating back before glancing across at Dean who's eyes don't leave Sara. Bucky purses his lips annoyed.

............

Sara doesn't come back to the party. So Bucky goes looking for her instead. And he finds her curled up on the window seat of one of the side rooms, a glass of whiskey half drunk from at her side. She lets out a breath as he approaches her, Bucky sighs sitting next to her.

"Sara" he starts, she lifts her eyes to his.

"I'm sorry I missed the rest of the party" she whispers, he shakes his head.

"You didn't miss much, honey" he takes her hand in his and kisses the back of it. "Sara" he whispers. "You know I love you?" he asks, she nods, he closes his eyes and fights off tears, everything screaming at him not to do this. "I'd do anything for you" he whispers staring at the ring on her finger. "Even this" he adds before pulling the ring from its place.

"Bucky?" she asks alarmed reaching for him, he shakes his head.

"I want you to go after him," he tells her softly reaching up to stroke her cheek. She searches his eyes because she can't believe he's doing this to her. "You still love him" he offers lifting her chin. "And seeing him again, I saw it"

"Bucky" she shakes her head. "Please, let me say something..."

"You're my friend," He tells her, not letting her talk because he knows if she does he will break, he will cave and he needs to do this. "And I love you, and I want you to be happy, and if that's with him....then be with him" he presses his forehead to hers and then pulls away, she whimpers reaching for him but he walks away, Sara closes her eyes and tightens her jaw to stop herself crying.

...............

"Sara, where are you going? What are you doing?" Tony asks following her around the hotel room as she collects her things and packs them in a duffel bag.

"Bucky made himself perfectly clear" she whispers turning to him. "He was just waiting for something, wasn't he?" she asks him, he shakes his head.

"No" he argues. "No...Look" he sighs. "I know I'm not his biggest fan, but that man is stupidly in love with you" she shoots him a look. "He's scared" Tony counters. "He's terrified that now Dean is back that you're going to leave him" she runs her fingers through her hair. "So he's pushing you away....don't leave, don't walk away...." she sits on the end of the bed and buries her head in her hands. Tony sits beside her and rubs her back. "Just give him a few days to calm down" he offers. "For you to calm down too.....just don't leave, don't go back to him"

"I wasn't planning on it" she whispers looking to him. "Seeing Dean again..." she lets out a breath. "I felt nothing" she admits. "It just....there was nothing there" she motions to her chest. "It's Bucky...I want to spend my life with and if he can't see that"

"So go big" he offers. "Go Stark big" she looks to him.

"What did you have in mind?" she asks him, he smirks and presses a kiss to her head.

............

Bucky sits exactly where Sara had only hours before, his eyes looking around the empty space, all her things gone, she really left. He sighs and hangs his head. He did tell her to leave, what was he expecting? He takes a breath and lays back covering his eyes with his arm.