Tenth

Diji

I made it downstairs and saw my parents sleeping on the couch together.

They slept sideways, and dad had his arms secured around her.

I went back upstairs to get Salome prepared for the day.

"Diji?" Salome called out randomly.

She had been quiet the whole time, but I assumed that she was still upset that I was leaving.

"Yeah?" I shook the spray bottle full of water before misting her hair.

She jumped like I burned her.

I detangled and brushed her hair into a puff before swooping her edges like she made momma show me how to do.

"What do you do if someone's mean to you?"

"Well your last name's Ferguson, so you box it out"

"Daddy said not to hit people at school"

"Who bothering you at school?" I asked.

She climbed the stairs to her sink and put some vaseline on.

"His name is Noah, and he picks with me outside"

-

Salome ate her hashbrown and stood behind me.

"What's up, Noah?" I squatted down to his level.

He looked shocked to see me. "You're on TV!"

"And you fucking with my little sister, so we got beef" I responded, putting an end to his enthusiasm.

He peeked behind me to look at Salome.

"Yeah that one" I said. "What's ya problem? You picking on girls? That's weak."

"No! No problem! Sorry, Salome. It won't ever happen again!" Noah said.

I pulled him forward by his shirt. "That's what I thought. Spread the word"

As soon as I let him go, he ran off.

I didn't take too kindly to that shit because kids Salome's age were killing themselves nowadays.

"Thank you, Diji!" Salome hugged my leg. "I love youuuu!"

"I love you too. That's what big brothers are for. See you later."

"Bye!" She opened up her bag and pulled out her breakfast croissant before running off.

When I got back home, I discovered my parents in the kitchen.

A plate of bacon, french toast, and eggs sat on the stovetop.

A glass of juice was knocked over.

Momma had her arms wrapped around his neck, and dad had his hands on her back and behind as they kissed.

He opened his eyes and looked bothered to see me.

He pointed towards the door and rubbed his fingertips together, signaling cash.

Momma almost swung her body around, but dad held her and I slipped away.

"Darold, I heard something"

"You didn't hear anything" Dad reassured. "You're just tryna get away from me"

-

"Sorry that you had to go through the whole process alone. Did you like your seat?"

Olive placed a check down on the table. "Thank you. That covers it."

I let her have her way.

"Is this a rental?" She asked.

"What I look like renting? This is all mine, Oliana. But I can't move in yet."

"Why not?"

"My parents don't know about you or it yet. We're going through something right now."

"Diji, I'm just visiting"

"Wait, huh?" I asked, astonished.

"I'm here on tourism. You have more flexibility than me when it comes to this kinda stuff. You have access to both, and I am only a Bahamian"

-