How to Write a Supernatural OC

There are two types of OCs in TVD/TO/L fanfictions.

Human and supernatural creature.

Humans are simple. You, the writer, are human. You know how they live, how they act, what they do, and what can kill them. Easy to write a human character in a story.

When it comes to a supernatural creature, things can get a little tricky. Especially, when one wants to create their own unique being. One not included in the already established species in the shows.

Nothing wrong with that. I've done it myself.

In the creation of your own creature, make sure they have a set of rules they go by. Every supernatural species has them. (I could write an entire chapter on a single species alone.) Like with vampires, they can't go into the sun without specially spelled jewelry, are burned by vervain...the list goes on. Same thing applies to species of your own creation. Give them things they can and can't do.

Also, don't make them all powerful. It's gets a little boring when a character can get out of situation too easily, or can kill their antagonist with a snap of their fingers.

You know, unless they're a god or goddess. Then, it's a bit more acceptable.

Now comes the supernatural creatures in myths, legends, and other material not included in the TVD Universe. Say you want to write about a dhampir from Vampire Academy, or a Nephilim from the TVD book series. These creatures still have a set of rules they live by. Do your research and keep your OC as close to that research as possible. Odds are one of your readers knows about these creatures and will call you out if you stray to far from what's expected.

When writing an already canon species, you have to stick with the rules given in the show. That is, unless you have a reason for them being different.

Like Hope Mikaelson, for example. She is born of a hybrid (vampire/werewolf) with a family history of magic and a werewolf. Hence her being a tribrid. Now, the only way you can have a tribrid OC is to have your character being born of a hybrid and another supernatural creature. But, vampire/werewolf hybrid's were not brought into play until Klaus's ritual in TVD Season 2. So, tribrid OCs cannot be written about until after then.

Hybrids are a lot easier. Play around with the witch and werewolf dynamic. I don't remember it being addressed in all three series, so it's a bit of grey area. The same goes for other species not specifically discussed in the shows.

Remember, you can do anything in fanfiction as long as you have a reason.

Here are a few lists of known supernatural creatures in all three shows. (Feel free to tell me if I missed one.)

The Vampire Diaries

Vampire, werewolf, witch, doppelgänger, hybrid, spirit, hunter, siphon, heretic, siren, devil-type, spiritual anchor, enhanced hunter.

The Originals

Vampire, werewolf, witch, hybrid, tribrid, spirit, enhanced vampire.

Legacies

Vampire, werewolf, witch, tribrid, siphon, dragon, gargoyle, Arachne, zombies, resurrected spirits, the Necromancer, Mer-Man, tree nymph, jinni, mind-control slugs, unicorn, mummy, Phoenix, gorgon, headless horseman, golem...(subject to additions.)

Comment some suggestions for what I should post next.

-Jordan

Information mentioned in this chapter can be found at vampirediaries.fandom.com