How to Not Write a Mary Sue OC

Something every writer has a problem with at the start of their writing career

     Something every writer has a problem with at the start of their writing career. The dreaded Mary Sue character. She/he is easy to avoid, but she/he is easier to create. Stay away from her/him at all costs.

     Here are some tips on how to put distance between yourself and the Mary Sue.

     Make your OC have flaws. Real people have them, so your character needs them, too. For example, my most popular OC, Raylynn Montgomery, is overly dramatic and overreacts to a lot of things. Consistent traits she has throughout her series. Another flaw she has is a short temper. She will go from calm to wanting to kill someone within a few lines of dialogue. Not the best trait, but a realistic one for the type of character she is.

     Do the same with your character. Make them a hypocrite, or have strong moral values they will never change, or even the exact opposite and make them morally grey.

     Not everyone in your story is going to like your OC. That's just how life works. You can be the kindest person in the world, but someone out there still isn't going to like you. Simple as that. Your character is going to be the same way. There are going to be other characters that don't like your OC, or shouldn't like your OC. Or, your OC won't like some characters.

     Think of your personal life. Do you like every single person you cross paths with? Odd are, you don't.

     Don't be afraid to use some of your personal experiences for your OC. It will help make your character even more realistic. I do this a lot. Not really big things that have happened to me, but small stuff. Like another popular OC of mine, Dani Fallon, she has a history of migraines during of her story. Same for me in real life. It gives your character a bit more depth.

     If your OC is a supernatural being, don't make them overly powerful. (unless they are a god or goddess, then ignore all of this.) Too many powers or invincibility is something that will turn readers away. Think of Superman as someone to stay away from when writing. He is literally bulletproof. He basically only has one weakness. Kryptonite. Don't do that to your OC, especially in the TVD Universe. The Originals have multiple weaknesses. Even Hope Mikaelson can't do everything.

     Give your OC a personality. Are they perky? Preppy? The mean girl? Do they get overly excited when they see an ad for their favorite book series? Are they obsessed with Marvel movies? These things help define your character's personality and gives them something other than the drama that goes on during TVD/TO/L.

     And make these consistent. Character traits only changed so much, even with the best character development. Interests will change, but what drives their soul never will.

Recap

Give your OC flaws.

Don't make your OC overly likeable.

Use personal experiences for inspiration.

Don't make them overly powerful.

Give them a personality.

Essentially, just don't write the next Bella Swan.

Comment suggestions for what I should post next.

-Jordan