How to Make Your Story Original

     This is a problem I see the most in fanfiction. Whether it be in TVD Universe, Marvel, SPN, or Harry Potter, it doesn't matter. Some writers just have a hard time making their stories their own.

And that's okay –when you're first starting out.

I'm going to give you a few tips on how to make your stories unique. How to make them stand out against the mass of duplications.

First, I'm going to list a few storylines in the TVD/TO/L world that are more than overdone. They're downright avoided, unless something draws a reader in that they haven't seen before.

Elena's Twin

The Gilbert Sibling (including other twin or sister storylines)

The Salvatore Sibling (including the twin storyline)

The Good Girl Turned Killer Vampire

The Overly-liked Mikaelson Sibling

Reincarnations/Doppelgängers

Allison Argent Inspired Characters

Lydia Martin Inspired Characters

The Overly-Innocent Character

Women from Klaus's Past Ruling Alongside Marcel in Season One

Hope's Twin

Saltzman Triplets

     (I probably missed some, so feel free to comment them.)

I'm not saying don't write any of these storylines. I'm just saying make them different. Don't let your readers think they're reading a replica of another story.

I know, these storylines have a certain appeal. I'm guilty of writing at least two of them. The trick is to make them yours. Write things others haven't. Make your character feel, think, or do things similar characters haven't done before.

To do this, I suggest reading a lot of the TVD/TO/L fanfiction on this site. You have to know your category to write for it. (And that goes for all writing, not just fanfiction.) I was on Wattpad for over a year before I starting writing. That was more because I didn't know how this site worked, and I was only interested in reading and not writing at the time. So, I'm not saying do that. Do what you're comfortable with.

If you know that the storyline you want to write has been done multiple times over, think about how yours will be different. Ask yourself, why will people read my story and not pass it off as a duplication?

Again, being too similar to a person's story borders copyright infringement. You don't want to do that, or even be accused of doing that. Your profile may be taken down because of it.

Don't simply write a storyline because you'll get reads and votes. If that's why you're writing, I suggest finding a new hobby.

I know this chapter doesn't have any suggestions on how to make your story different. That's not what I'm doing. I'm not going to write your story for you. I want you to think on your own. To create something new and entertaining. That's the whole point of writing. We use our imaginations to bring joy, laughter, fear, sadness, and everything in between to our readers.

We're not an assembly line punching out stories to please the masses.

Comment suggestions for what I should post next.

-Jordan