Chapter Four

Jim dumped his bag down by a desk at the back of the room and slumped down into the seat. He was the first to arrive in detention. As he pulled out his copy of Carrie and began flicking to his page, the door swung open again.

John and a pretty blonde girl walked in, Jim watched them with vaguely interested eyes as they made their way to the two desks in front of him. 'Oh hey Jim.' John smiled awkwardly, 'Ugh this is my girlfriend Mary. Urm Mary this is Molly's new neighbour; Jim.' Jim gave Mary a small wave and went back to his book. Mary raised her eyebrows at John but didn't say anything.

Just then Mr Baker walked in, he looked across the room, 'just expecting you three today.' he announced to the students before settling himself behind his desk. They waited out the hour long detention in painstaking silence, only broken by the sound of Jim turning a page or Mr Baker sniffing loudly.

'Alright students, that's an hour.' Mr Baker announced as a shrill bell rang out. They all gathered their stuff together and left without a word. As Jim began to walk towards the exit of the school, John caught up with him and grabbed his upper arm. 'Hey Jim.. oh wow do you work out?' Jim raised an eyebrow and smirked slightly as John quickly let go of his arm. 'That was weird sorry, i was gonna say the gangs meeting at mine tonight and i was wondering if you wanted to tag along?' Jim shrugged. 'I've got nothing better planned.' 'Great, you can walk with me and Mary.'