Weekend

*Octavia's POV*

The week went on, it was bad as usual. The best thing was Melo. We got so close in this week. We ended up getting a B+ on our project. It was now Friday and I was sooo excited to go see my dad. Poppy was already over there. I would be away from Steve for a weekend and that was my favorite part. "What you doing this weekend mamas?" Melo asked, leaning against the locker next to mine.
"Going to my dads," I told him, "It's about 10 minutes south."
"Oh," he nodded, "South?"
"Yeah it's a... not a good neighborhood but I don't care," I laughed, "I don't get to see him often."
"Gotcha," he smiled, "Any way you can come see me?"
"Maybe," I nodded, smiling. He gave me a kiss against my forehead, winked at me, then walked away. I smiled big at him and shut my locker. I made my way out of the school as fast as I could, to avoid Micah and his friends.

I made it to my dads house and I walked inside. I ran up and hugged him tight. He picked me up a little, hugging back. "Ahh I missed my girls," he told me, holding me close.
"I missed you dad," I smiled, tucking my face into his shirt. We pulled away and I smiled at Poppy, giving her a kiss on her head. We spent the day just watching movies and eating snacks.

The next morning we were outside. It was a nice day and Poppy and I were in the front yard playing around. My dad was on the porch steps, watching. He had a coffee cup in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Poppy was chasing me around the yard when we heard a loud shot go off. I stood in front of Poppy and I heard a glass cup shatter against the concrete of the side walk that led to the porch. My head whipped to the porch and my dad was holding his shoulder as blood was coming out. "Dad!" I gasped.
"Inside!" he yelled at us, "Go-" He was cut off by another shot and this one... was to his head. I screamed out and watched as a black car drove by fast. I ran over to him, Poppy following. "Dad!?" I cried, "Dad?!" I got my phone out, my hands shaking. I called the police right away. They came soon and I told them what happened and the car I saw. I asked Melo if Poppy and I could come over. I was so shaken up. I honestly just wanted to see him. I had the police drop us off there and I walked up to the door. I knocked and LaVar opened up. "You were dropped off by the police??" he asked looking at me a little worried.
"My-" I choked up, "My dad was ju-just shot..." Melo came up behind him as I said that. His eyes widen a little bit. "Is he okay?" Melo asked.
"He's dead," I let tears fall down my cheeks.
"Come in, come in," LaVar told me. I came in and Melo pulled me into a hug. Poppy held onto my leg. I started to cry into his chest and he just held me. "It's okay," he whispered, "You can stay here..."