Chapter 1: The Switch

"Jordan, don't go!!" Rene yelled. I stormed off, pissed at the world. I ran out of school, it had ended anyways. I ran towards the forest. When I got to the edge, I took a breath and hoped I would find it. I did, I always do. I climbed up the tree.
You see, I have this place that I go to. Its a tree house. It has doors, windows, even a balcony. The only way you could get up to the house was by climbing up the nails that wear in the tree. I made them look like they were small branches, but I knew which ones were, and which ones weren't. Did I mention its so high, it is covered by all the branches at the top of the tree? I climbed through the trapdoor and walked to the balcony. I leaned up against the rail, looking down. I saw a girl. She looked familiar, but I couldn't tell being this far up. She started singing a song as I made my way back down the tree.

He battered his tiny fist to feel something.

By this time I had already climbed half way down.

Wondered what its like to touch, and feel something.

I was standing behind the girl while she was now sitting down.

Monster How should I feel, creatures lie here looking through the window. We harmonized like nothing I had heard before.

That night he caged her and bruised her and broke her.

He struggled closer and then he stole her.

I sang the verse.

Violet wrists and then her ankles, silent screams.

Then he slowly saw their nightmares were his dreams.

We harmonized.

Monster How Should I feel?

Creatures Lie here, looking through the window.

I will hear the voices.

I will hear the voices, I echoed behind her.

I'm a glass child.

I am Hanna's regrets.

We finished the song, not once seeing or looking at each others faces. I sat down besides her. We looked at each other and her eyes widened. I was shocked myself. This was Callie Carlson. She was that girl in the back of the classroom that no one ever talked to. She was a really pretty girl. Pink hair that brought out icy blue and gold eyes. She had never spoken a word to anyone as far as I knew. The fact that we just sang together was a lot.
"Y-You're J-Jordan" She spoke stuttering. It was kinda cute.
"Yep." I said. We sat there in a comfortable silence.
"You have a really pretty voice." I said looking at her. She was looking at her feet and I couldn't see her face because her hair was in the way.
"T-Thanks, Y-You do t-to." She said. I could tell by the sound of her voice when she said thanks that she didn't mean it.
"I'm being serious. Your voice is the prettiest one I've ever heard, anyone who says different is only jealous." I said. She looked at me, pain in her eyes.
"I don't, I really don't" She said looking down again. I put my hand on hers and I felt her tense up.
"I'm not going to hurt or lie to you." She tensed up more.
"I should probably be heading home, its getting late." She said. I stood up and helped her up.
"Let me drive you home." I said, leading her through the woods and back to the school. Everyone was gone. I opened the door for her and she got in, hesitantly. I walked to the other side of the car and got in.
"Fast or slow?" I asked.
"S-Slow" She said. I grinned. I quickly reversed and drove out of the parking lot. I slammed on the brakes.
"Where are we going?" I asked. She told me where to go and I drove as fast as I could. I stopped at where she told me her house was. I looked over at her. It looked like she was trying to sink into the seat. "We are here, you can open your eyes now" I said laughing. I got out and opened her door. I walked her up to her front porch. "I'm picking you up tomorrow for school, be ready by 7:25." I said as she walked into her house. I saw her give a quick nod as she closed the door. 

"Where the hell have you been you little bitch?!" I heard come from inside the house. I heard a loud thud and a grunt. I tried to open the door but it was locked. I made a decision and busted the door down. I walked through the living room and turned the corner into the kitchen. There was Callie on the floor, unconscious. There was a man standing above her with a stained white t-shirt. I don't think he heard me bust in because he was still kicking her. I looked around for some sort of weapon and decided on the meat tenderizer that was sitting next to a pile of meat that was covered in flies. I picked it up by its sticky, dried-blood covered handle and lugged him over the head with it. He fell over into the kitchen table and collapsed in a heap on the floor. I went and found Callie's room and packed her some clothes and necessities. I put it over my shoulder as I walked back into the kitchen. I picked Callie up and put her in the car, throwing the bag into the back of the car. I got in and angrily drove to my house. I got the bag and Callie and brought them into the house. I set the bag on the couch and I carried Callie, bridal style, up the stairs and into another room. I set her down on a bed. I set next to her and held her hand waiting for her to get up. I decided to go and make dinner so I left her a note on the door.

"Callie,

I know what your dad did to you, so I brought you to my house. This will be your room, and your stuff is in the corner.

                                                                             ~Jordan"

I put it on the door and left, leaving Callie in the room with the door closed. I walked down stairs and started to make supper.