Chapter 2: First Encounter

three days later...

"You ready to go, Elena? everyone is waiting" Simon calls from the other side of the door as I finish brushing my hair.

"I'm coming Si!" I rush and throw the brush into my bag and open the door.

"I'm ready!"

Simon stays quiet and looks me up and down. "You know, we're just going to Alexandria. No need to get all dolled up" he chuckles and leads the way.

"Whoa there sweetheart, what the hell are you wearing?" My dad nags as we approach him.

"It's just shorts and a shirt," I say defensively

"No shit, but those shorts are so small they look like underwear"

"Dad, I wear these all the time" I walk past him and get into the back seat of the truck. Not wanting to give him a chance to change his mind about letting me go.

He and Simon follow suit, Simon sitting next to me, and my dad sitting up front.
Thankfully he doesn't continue to argue, "Let's get going" he motions for the Savior to start the engine and at that moment we're finally on our way.

As each of the trees past, happiness grows inside the pit of my stomach, the sensation of butterflies filling my body.

"Elena, when we get there I want you to stay in sight and don't do anything to draw attention"

"Sure thing, I won't mess this up"
__________________________________
"Little pig, little pig, open up" My dad bangs on the metal gates, with his bat, he calls the same name as my mother, 'Lucille'.

I stand beside the other saviors as an unknown man approaches him,

"Well? Um, who are you?"

"Oh, you better be jokin'. Negan, Lucille. I know I had to make a pretty strong first impression" My dad laughs swinging his bat back and forth.

Watching this whole interaction is interesting to me, this is my first time seeing my dad converse with anyone outside the Sanctuary.

"Well, hello, there," The man says nervously.

"Do not make me have to ask" my dad orders.

I can tell that his patience is running out.

"You said a week. You're early." Another man comes to the gate and opens it.

"All right, everybody. Let's get started. Big day!"

In an instant, the Saviors flood into the community. They begin plundering threw the houses and loading valuables into the trucks. I stand awkwardly as I take in the new environment. Watching my people practically rob the place, makes me feel a little sympathy for the townspeople but at the same time I know it's what has to be done.

Lost in my thoughts, I don't notice a walker come up behind me.

"Elena, watch out!" Simon yells.

I turn around and scream at the top of my lungs as a disgusting walking corpse staggers towards me.

At the final second, my dad comes to my rescue and slams his bat over its head, "Ha ha ha! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!"

This was one of the first times in a long time a walker has ever gotten that close to me, I have to be more careful.

My dad leaves my side and continues to talk to the leader of Alexandria. After only being here for a couple of minutes I realize that the gate area isn't safe, so I venture deeper into the community until I come to a house that stands out from others.

The outer aesthetic matches the houses around it however I notice a lot of activity in and out of this house in particular.

I know that my father doesn't want me to leave his sight but he is so focused on what he's doing that he won't notice if I'm gone for a couple of minutes.

I look back to see if my dad or Simon is paying attention, neither of them seem to be watching so I walk up the porch steps and enter the house.

It's beautiful and very well put together.

I only go as far as the kitchen before I hear a few saviors upstairs ransacking the place. I don't want them to see me cause I know they'll tell my dad I was in here.

As I'm about to leave out the door I hear a loud clicking sound and feel cold metal against my back.

"How much did you take?" The voice of the young man whispers as he pushes the barrel into my back.

"N-nothing, I didn't take anything" I cry as my life flashes before my eyes.

Before I could scream for help, he puts his hand over my mouth, "be quiet" he whispers as he pulls my hands behind my back and leads me into a dark room.

"Please, don't hurt me, I didn't take any of your stuff!" He pushes me to the ground and points the gun at me.

"Who are you? I didn't see you last time" he asks staring me down.

"I-I'm Elena" I look up to see a guy about my age wearing a blue flannel and a Sheriff hat.

Tears roll down my cheeks and soak my shirt. This has to be the worst situation I've ever been in.

"I'm sorry, " he says as he puts the gun in his back pocket.

His sudden kindness takes me by surprise.

He holds out his hand offering to help me up, I take it not wanting to piss him off again.

"I'm Carl," he says as I wipe my eyes. I give him a nod, and a silent moment of awkwardness ensues.

"I didn't mean to scare you I was just trying to protect my family" his face tenses up as if he feels guilty.

"It's okay, I understand. The saviors can be a pain in the ass" I joke trying to lighten the mood.

"Are you one of them?"

"Not exactly, but Negan is my dad"

When I tell him this, his eyes grow wide and his tone becomes stern again "you should get out of here".

I notice his immediate change in demeanor "yeah, I should..." I slowly start to step back until I hit the door. I quickly twist the knob and turn around, running through the house and back out the front door.