Chapter 9: The Talk

My dad's wives surround me the moment I step into their room. They smile at me awkwardly and I smile back at them.

"So your dad told us about the boy, you've been interested in. His name is Carl right?" Tonya, his curly-haired wife asks me.

I walk past them all and sit on the couch. If I'm going to have this dreadful conversation, I should at least be comfortable, "yeah, my dad said we can't be together" I explain the situation.

All five of the women follow me, there trying to be comforting but I'm not stupid. My dad put them up to this.

Tonya continues to lecture to me while the others only watch, "Listen, Elena, he wasn't what you needed anyways. Take it from us, you need a man, not a boy"

"What is that supposed to mean? Carl is enough for me" I glare to her without remorse. She's doesn't know anything about me or my relationship.

Another one of his wives jumps in and adds to the tension, "He's weak. Negan wouldn't let you be with him because he knows that kid can't protect you" she places her hand on my shoulder. I want to push it off but I can't help but feel like a complete moron right now this was a planned ambush by them. I shake my head and let them all say what they want.

"Guys are like tools in a toolbox. You have to find the right one to use. Carl seems great now but what if the Sanctuary gets burned to the ground one day? You would need a real man that knows how to survive", Tonya questions Carl's ability to survive in this world. I ball my fist in anger, he's stronger than people think he is. He even stood up to my dad, most people don't, "Well, Carl's dad is the leader of Alexandria, I could go there if that ever happened" I respond back.

She looks at me disappointedly, "How would you get there? Even if y'all found a car, you could still encounter trouble on your way. Which brings this full circle, Carl isn't cut out for this. Have you ever noticed Brandon? He's the youngest Savior, he would be perfect for you" she squeezes my shoulders and all the other wives take glances between one another.

I don't know who this dude is and I don't care. I have a real boyfriend, "I never heard of him. What does he look like?" I go along with them though I have no interest in him.

The blond wife Amy is more than happy to give me a description, "He's dreamy Elena. He's 6'2, brown hair and blue eyes not to mention he has a six-pack" she smirks like she wishes she could have him for herself.

"If he's so great why doesn't he already have a girlfriend?" I wonder out loud.

"I don't know but he's twenty and available, he's right up your alley", Tonya says in a matter of fact type of way.

"Twenty? I'm sixteen. We wouldn't have anything in common. Sherry, you know how stupid this all sounds", I turn to her with absolute shock. She's usually the voice of reason but to my surprise, she agrees with the other women, "It's not stupid. We're trying to help you. I think Brandon would be good for you".

A twenty year old with a sixteen year old is beyond creepy, "What about what he thinks? Maybe he doesn't even want to be with me"

Sherry assures me that this will work out, "He will, you're a pretty girl and you have a great personality. He would have to be crazy not to want you"

I look at the faces of everyone, they're all wanting me to go along with this but I can't. I've finally met the guy I'm meant to be with and I'm not giving him up, "I appreciate the compliments but it's not gonna happen. Carl is who I want" I stand to my feet with my head held high. Tonya tries to pull me back down but I break away from her grip.

"Wait, Elena. He's a great guy, give him a chance" she pleads but her words fall on deaf ears. I promise my dad I would talk to them but that's it. Finding a new boyfriend was never in the picture.