Chapter 18: Carl

Carl
After talking with Elena I finally accepted that it's time to come clean to my father. Daryl listened in and now is in the know about our relationship. Of course, he's not happy about it. If I don't tell my dad, he will.

"When were you gonna tell us about this?" he asks with a slight touch of both anger and confusion.

"Come on dad, I knew you would hate it.", I confess in full honesty. I never once considered that my dad would be okay with it.

"How did it happen?" he questions me.

Vivid memories flood back to me. "I met her when the Savior's first came around, I couldn't get the thought of being with her out of my head".

My dad's eyes widen a little and Daryl jumps into the conversation. "We can't let him do this, his hormones are just out of wack. He'll forget about her in a couple of days".

I roll my eyes at him but I keep quite. He's making the situation more complicated than it already is. The last thing I want is for my dad to think I'm going through a "phase".

My father seems to be taking what Daryl says into consideration. He starts to doubt me. "Carl, are you sure about her? She's a spoiled brat and nothing but trouble. You don't need someone like that. What about Enid? She's a nice girl."

"Enid is my friend but she's nothing like Elena," I tell him flat out. She's special to me not just another girl and I'm going to make him see that.

The stress starts to show on his face, I can tell he doesn't want to fight with me but at the same time he doesn't want this relationship to move forward. "Carl, I get it. She's like the forbidden fruit but you need to think of the bigger picture. She's Negan's daughter which makes her an enemy. She can't be trusted", He continues to emphasize his point that she's supposedly not a good person.

No one knows her like I do, nothing anyone can say will ever change what I think about her. I take it upon myself to explain the difficulties of Elena's life, "She doesn't like what her dad does. She hates every bit of it but she can't do anything about it. I won't judge her on that and you shouldn't either".

My dad is a fair man, he gives everyone the benefit of the doubt. The way he shifts between his two feet is a sign that he's contemplating.

My hopes get high that he'll see things from my point of view but there's only so much I can say to change his mind. I'm up against his disdain for Negan, only he can decide if he's willing to look past what has happened.

To my disappointment he still has concerns, "at any time she can turn on you. Her daddy can get inside her head and manipulate her into helping him destroy us. We can't risk it."

My spirit breaks, this sounds like defeat and to make matters worse Daryl expresses his agreement, "Rick this shouldn't even be a discussion. We both know what he's capable of".

Once they come to a consensus it's pretty much final. "Carl, this isn't a smart move" My dad shakes his head.

I don't wait around to hear anymore. I storm off back to my room to tell Elena the horrible news that this isn't going to work out how we wanted. It's such a crash from earlier, Negan gave us the green light but my dad didn't. I can't help but feel like this is my fault.
________________________________
"Elena don't cry, I promise. I won't let anyone break
us a part", I whisper into the walkie talkie.

"I wish we could just leave, we'll never be together it we stay", her voice cracks and I can hear that she's on the verge of tears.

As her boyfriend it's my job to keep her happy, even if I have to go to desperate measures, "Remember when I told you about the Kingdom?"

Elena sniffles into the device, "Yeah".

"We could still go there and create a new life. No one would know your Negan's daughter. It's our only chance at living without being judged", I lay out my plan to her again. The first time she wasn't sure of leaving but now it's different. This is our only choice.

There's a tense moment of silence. I hold my breath anticipating her response.

"When can we leave?", she asks nervously.

An immense feeling of solace comes over me. Thank God she wants to do this. "Tonight. We have a few working cars. I'll take one and pick you up. I know the way to the Kingdom like the back of my hand. It's an eight-hour trip."

"Perfect. I'll be ready when you get here. The night guards are lazy, they won't catch on to us." Elena's voice becomes more cheerful and in turn makes me more confident.

"I'll be there around midnight. Make sure you have your walkie talkie on you. We have to be quick"
________________________________
The illumination from the moonlight shines down as I park the truck outside of the Sanctuary gates. Elena Should be here any minute, my eyes dart back-and-forth. I hate to admit it but I am scared. If I get caught I don't know what's gonna happen.

Just as my nerves get the best of me a shadow runs up to the passenger side, "We need to get out of here before the guards see", Elena pulls open the door and says to me.

I put the keys back into the ignition to start the engine, "You got that right".

We drive off into the darkness leaving our entire life behind us. With our windows down the cool breeze from the night hits us and it feels like freedom.

"I can't believe you can drive. My dad refuses to teach me." She says breaking the silence. At first, we both didn't say much but now we can finally breathe easy knowing we got away with it.

"It's a survival skill. Daryl taught me a long time ago. Maybe I'll teach you one day." I say to her while keeping my eyes on the road.

"That would be awesome. Since we are on our own now, I need to learn how to function without my dad or the savior's help"

"We're not on our own. The Kingdom is a second home to me. They take care of us like we're their own" I put her at ease her.

"I hope so..." she stares out the window.