Chapter 7: I Can't Do This

"All I want you to do is, fold all of these clothes and put them in my closet" my dad smiles as he hands me a basket full of freshly cleaned laundry.

"Why, Is this supposed to be punishment or something?"

My dad isn't the type to give chores so I definitely didn't expect this, considering the fact that I thought he was finally starting to understand me.

"Not at all sweetheart, this is just a little test to see if I can trust you to be responsible enough to have more freedom"

I roll my eyes and sigh "and how are folding clothes supposed to do that"

"It'll help me see if you can follow basic direction, that's how!" He gives me one more big smile before leaving me to get to work.

————————
About thirty minutes past, when a knock gets my attention.

"Negan, Sherry is asking for you!" A voice I recognize as Dwight calls.
I stop what I am doing and open the door.

"He's not here," I tell him with an annoyed tone.

"Oh, well where is he?"

"I don't know, it's not like he tells me anything" I start to close the door in his face but his foot stops me.

"Woah, hold on there. I got something I need to talk to you about too"

I debate with myself on hearing him out. On one end,  I do kinda consider him a 'friend' but on the other end, he is one of my dads best men and I'm not in the mood for anymore lecturing.
"Make it quick," I swing the door open, inviting him in.

"Basically I want to let you know that shit is going to hell with Alexandria and hilltop, and I have a funny feeling that you have a conflict of interest in all of this" his eyes look into mine as if he's trying to get a confession out of me.

"Why would you even say that? The sanctuary is my home, I don't care about what goes on outside this place" My voice is slightly strained as I try to convince him of my loyalty.

Dwight deeply inhales and exhales "You don't have to pretend, Elena, I know about Carl"

"Carl? What about him"

"That you think you love him"

My heart races unrestingly as my emotions gush to the front of my mind.
There is a brief moment of silence before the conversation continues.

"Elena, you know that nothing can happen between you two. Negan would never allow that so you need to cut it off before he finds out and does something crazy"

My eyes quickly shift away from him and my gaze travels to the ground "I-I can't do that"

"Well you're going to have too, it's the only way. besides, he's probably only using you"

"Screw you!" I jump up and scream at him as my tears create a stream down my cheeks.

"I know this isn't how you wanted things too work out but trust me, Negan is starting to piece this shit all together"

The sadness in his talk makes me realize that he is only doing this because he doesn't want me to get hurt.

"I don't know what to do, Dwight. I don't want Carl to think that I just gave up on him"

"If he does love you, he'll understand."

I hang my head down in silence trying to come to terms with the position that I'm in.

"I can take you to him if you want"

Wiping the tears from my face, I accept his offer "sure, I just want to get this over with"
__________________________________
After I finished putting away my dad's laundry, I go with Dwight to see Carl.
I follow him down the hallway until we reach a storage closet.

"He's in here" Dwight unlocks and opens the door.

"Elena!" Carl shouts and runs past Dwight to hug me.

"Hey, we need to talk" I pull away from him and stare sadly into his light blue eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asks worriedly.

"I'll give you two a minute" Dwight closes the door to give us privacy.

"Carl, I-I can't do this anymore" I fight back tears as I try to stand my ground on the decision that I've already made.

"What do you mean? you're not breaking up with me are you?"

I hesitantly nod as tears slowly escape my eyes.
"We crossed the line, Carl, I should've never let it get this far".

"Its gonna be okay Elena" he throws his arms around me again, pulling me close "you don't have to do this, we can work it out".

"No, we can't. My dad is a lunatic and you know it. I can't hide this forever" I try to pry his arms off me but he doesn't let go.

"I know you're scared but listen to me" he places his hands on my cheeks and tilts my head until I'm looking directly at him.
"I know a place we can go, it's called the kingdom, I promise he won't find us there"

The Kingdom? I've never heard of it before. It might not even be safe, for all I know the saviors could have eyes on that place.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I know people there, they will protect us"

The idea of running away never crossed my mind. I've never really thought of a life outside the Sanctuary.

"I-I don't know, it sounds a little risky"

"Just trust me, okay?" he pulls me in for another kiss.

As our lips dance with each other, my desire to fight for our relationship grows.

Maybe leaving won't be bad after all...