Chapter 17: Sanctuary

When we get home my dad takes me upstairs to finish our conversation in private. The chat begins with me explaining everything about the night Alexandria attacked but then it veers off to Carl.

"I know that you two have feelings for each other but I just don't see how it would work especially not after what Rick did", My dad expresses his view to me.

If only he could see things from my perspective he wouldn't have so much hostility towards Carl, "I understand but Carl has nothing to do with it".

"He's still a liability. If he gets close to you, I'm afraid he'll find out something he shouldn't and tell Rick", my dad elaborates on his point then takes a sip of the whiskey in his cup. Alcohol is his comfort during uncomfortable moments.

"He's not like that", I pout and cross my arms in front of my chest.

He chuckles at my brattiness then pulls me into a fatherly embrace, "Baby, in this world people are extremely manipulative. You can't truly trust that he has good intentions no matter how nice he seems"

I relax in his arms and breathe in the familiar scent of his leather jacket. It's nice to be back home even though I was only gone for a day.

"Can't you just trust me, dad? Let me make decisions for my own life"

He shakes his head, "I just don't want you to get hurt Elena".

I sigh at his overprotectiveness and use my puppy dog eyes on him. He pauses for a moment then gives in to my demands reluctantly, "Fine. I'll let you be with the boy but there are some rules I need you to follow".

I jump up from his arms with a smile so big that it hurts. I never thought my dad would ever let me be with him, something surely shifted in his mentality. 

"Hold on baby girl. Listen to the rules first." he stops me from prematurely celebrating. "First off, no more secrets. I don't want you two sneaking around and getting into trouble."

I take in what he has to say but honestly, nothing can make me unhappy right now, "That's good with me. I never wanted to do any of this behind your back" I agree with his terms then he continues to list the rest of the rules.

"And no telling Carl what we talk about. I need to know that I can have trust in you to keep somethings private," he says in a more serious tone.

I nod quickly. 

"Oh, I almost forgot the most important one of them all. Be smart and responsible. I want grandkids one day but not anytime soon", he suggests that I and Carl are intimate but I stop him from going any further.

"Dad! that's disgusting!" I nearly puke in my mouth at the thought of my dad knowing such personal information.

"I have to tell you this Elena, I was a teenager once too" he grins watching me freak out about this.

"We don't do....it", I assure him awkwardly.

"Good, keep it that way", he pats me on the head then goes to fill his cup up with more alcohol.
__________________________________
After getting permission to be with the love of my life, my dad lets me have a walkie talkie so I can communicate with Alexandria. Now all there's left to do is share the good news with Carl.

"Hello. Is anyone there?" I call through the device with so much anticipation that it almost makes me sick to my stomach.

"It's Daryl. Who is this?" a confused voice answers back.

"Elena" I answer him with my head held high. Static takes over for a few seconds until he decides on what to say, "What do you want?", he resentfully asks.

"Carl. I need to talk to him please" I'm polite to him though he's being his typical rude self to me.

"He has nothing to say to you girl", His stubbornness makes this whole interaction worse but I have to stick it out. It's a small price to pay to be able to see Carl again, "I know this looks suspicious but you have to understand that I and Carl's relationship is genuine, you can ask him yourself" I lay it all out to him.

"I don't care anything about that. You're the devil's daughter. You won't manipulate me." He stands his ground firmly.

I give him the biggest eye roll known to man, "Come on Daryl. When your people kidnapped me I didn't cause problems. If I wanted to I could've told my dad that you hurt me but I didn't". I try to make him feel some guilt about what happened yesterday.

Luckily for me it works, "you can talk to him but I'll be listening in. If you say anything I don't like, I'm shutting it down".

Finally he comes to his senses. My heart calms and I wait patiently until I hear a voice I recognize to be Carl's, "Elena, are you okay?"

"I'm really great", I tell him almost breathlessly. It's an unexplainable feeling.

"You sound excited. Did I miss something?"

"My dad is letting us be together" I blurt out without second thought.

There is a moment of disbelief, "Wow, Negan being a good person for once? That's crazy" the joy in him shines through.

"So when are you coming back?". I can't wait to see him I need to know now. The sooner he comes back to me the better. We've been apart by force but now it's time for our happily ever after.

Despite his initial reaction to the news, Carl seems to be unsure of what happens next. "I don't know if I can. My dad doesn't know about our relationship even if he did he wouldn't want me to live at the Sanctuary" he explains his dilemma to me.

"Then what are we going to do? We've come so far, I don't want distance to ruin things" I worry that Rick is going to become a new hurdle we have to jump over.

"I just need time to figure this out. I'll fill you in later, okay?" he rushes me off the phone but of course I can't let him go without telling him one last thing.

"Okay, I love you" my heart gushes for him.

"I love you too," he says in a way that would make any girl smile. The compassionate tone of his voice makes it clear to me that he's genuine contrary to what my dad believes.