Duke

Valtoria is my home, my land, here where I was born. Dense forests, high mountains, and chilly weather is part of this beautiful and glorious country. Everything was peaceful and well.
Until one day when king Cletus got attacked by a group of rebellions during the harvesting festival, everyone was terrified, there was chaos everywhere, but luckily king got saved by his soldiers...
That day was the most terrible beginning of the year 1895.

The beginning:
It was raining, heavily, cold wind breezing with misty raindrops.

I adjusted my coat. "Father, the chariot is here. We should hurry." I said.  

Father ascended on the chariot, we sat silent there for a moment. until I broke the silence, 

 "Father I know what's bothering you. Isn't it about me?"
"You are right, son. You are now a young man and I, on the other hand, is old.
you should take over the duchy of Victoria."
Father spoke in a sore voice.

"Father.... we have already discussed that I want to learn literature and arts. I am not capable of taking such responsibilities. In my op-, before I could speak further father cut me off.
"Son listen I am saying this last time, I don't care what you want!! Today, we are going royal court where I will announce you as a new duke of Valtoria in front of 5 kingdoms and 12 dukedoms. Whether you like it or not!!" 

Hearing those words from my father, made me disappointed.
The whole journey we didn't exchange any words.
I looked outside the chariot window and keep thinking about my father's words about me.
After traveling for hours we finally reached...
The Royal court of Wilower .

As I walked out of the chariot I saw beautiful flowers Meadow near the court.

"Welcome, House of Lockwoods,"  I looked behind as I heard the voice

I looked behind as I heard the voice.
"Thank you, duke Rivers" my father replied.
"This must be your older son, William Lockwood."

"Pleasure to meet you, Duke." 

"Same here son."

My father and duke River Wilson are very old friends, since from their youth time.
Duke Rivers is very kind and a gentleman. He always helped Valtoria in bad times.
My father always wanted me to get married to Duke River's elder daughter Eleanor, despite the fact that she is 5 years older than me. But last summer she got married to the duke of Celest.

Next day in the court room:

"Good morning dukes and duchesses of the respective dukedoms

"Good morning dukes and duchesses of the respective dukedoms. Today, we are here to discuss important issues related to our king and  country's safety.  Also, some announcements related to other important matters. Thank you for attention."

After Speaker announced the schedule of the court. Everyone stood up in honour of our king. King Cletus became king after the tragic death of his father by a disease. He became king at the age of 16 and now 15 years has passed since he became the king. He is one of the great kings, Wilower had.
I never really met him in person but I have heard about him.
"Thank you so much for you all for coming to this court session. I, king of Wilower welcome you all. You may all be seated."

Discussion began, 5 kingdoms and 12 dukedoms were there. I didn't want to get involved in the discussion as I was feeling nervous already.
"Lord William, what do you think about water problems in small villages of Wilower is facing right now?" King's advisor asked.

I stood up and said, " My king, the water problems can be solved by storing water safely in "wells" but since last monsoon there was not raining. I suppose we should try water canal method." I almost finished my sentence.

Duke Simon questioned " Canal methods..but how?"
Sudden Question raised the tension in the courtroom.
"Duke Simon, canal Method was one of the oldest method to travel water from other place to another place. For example, your estate consists few of Wilower's small villages and is near to our estate we can create canals and draws the water in your estate. By which your people can get safe water until it rains in upcoming monsoon."

Everyone in the courtroom looked surprised by my answer but also satisfied too.
My father looks up to me with warm smile.
After the country's issues discussions, the court speaker announced new Dukes of the states...and one of them was me. Even though I wasn't happy with being a duke, I saw my father's happiness. Maybe this is what makes my father happy. Me being a duke and handling our estate and helping my people.....but still do I have to give up on something that I like? Or do I have to fight for it?.....,.i rather chose my responsibilities towards my country than my own happiness...