Chapter 2

I opened my eyes and I was in my room at my apartment again. What was I doing here?

"Taylor!" a warm, familiar voice called.

I sat up quickly, eyes wide and heart thumping. I looked around frantically. The putrid green color of the walls. The dusty bookshelf I had tried to liven up by painting purple, overflowing with my favorite stories. The old window that could only ever open a crack, which was almost never in Jasper's weather. The creaking bed with the plain white sheets and red cover. The tiny closet door that was always open, my clothes neatly hung on the rack. The cold hardwood floor, uneven right under my bed so I seemed to tip in my sleep. The posters on my wall of my favorite story characters that I had purchased with what little saved money I had.

This was definitely my apartment.

My heart fluttered in excitement. I jumped out of bed and rushed out the door.

"Mom! Mom!" I cried hurriedly and hopefully, skidding into the tiny kitchen that always smelled like musty towels.

There she was. Standing in the sunlight coming through the window, holding a bowl and whisk in her hands. Her sandy hair was pulled up in a high ponytail, long, stringy bangs all over her face. She looked at me with warm, curious eyes, watching me like nothing had happened. Like she had never been in a car crash. Like life had never turned upside down. She smiled at me and laughed at my strange position.

"What has you so excited this morning, Taylor?" she asked.

I have no idea what noise came out of my mouth, but it was one of pure joy and happiness. I jumped forward and hugged her tightly. Tears welled and fell down my cheeks freely. I was laughing and crying at the same time. I'm sure I looked like and idiot, but I didn't care.

Mom was watching me in surprise. "What in the world is this?"

I looked up at her happily. "I'm so glad! I thought you were dead! But you're here. In the apartment. It must have all been a strange dream!"

She laughed and stroked my head lovingly. "Oh, Taylor.."

The atmosphere suddenly changed. The apartment was swept away, replaced with glowing stars, bright blue illuminating everywhere. I looked back up and my mom was turning into the light. I gasped and drew away instinctively. My mom smiled at me.

"I'm so sorry, Taylor. I had to leave you so soon..."

I reached for her in fear, but she seemed to be getting farther away, and I was moving the opposite direction. "Mom! Wait! Don't leave me!"

"Don't follow me, Taylor," she warned me. "You can't go where I am going now. Promise me that you won't try to."

I dropped to my knees on an imaginary ground. "Please don't go.."

"Promise me."

I was openly sobbing now. "I...I promise."

I could feel the warmth of her relief. "I know it will be hard without me, Taylor. Don't worry. You'll find you're way again."

Then the light swallowed her and she was gone.

I closed my eyes and hugged my knees, sobbing and sniffing. The bright blue light turned darker and darker, until there was nothing at all. Just lonely darkness. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mind woke to a sudden clattering noise of to the left. I gasped sharply and sat up quickly. The apartment was gone. I had no idea where I was now. I was surrounded by metal and rock.

"Bulkhead!" boomed a loud, agitated voice. "I needed that!"

"Sorry," was the reply. That voice sounded familiar.

Once again, I dared look around, holding my breath so I wouldn't scream at whatever. It didn't matter, though. When I saw five huge automatons standing all over the giant room, I screamed anyway. Instantly, their glowing blue eyes all turned to me. I kicked my legs in an attempt to escape, my breath coming in short gasps, but I stopped when I realized I was laying down in a rolling hospital bed. I was up on a built ledge, but even then most of the robots loomed over me. Knowing there was absolutely no way I could escape, I curled up into a ball and cowered under their gaze.

"I told you," said a white and red machine. I noticed he was significantly shorter than most of them, other than a skinny blue and pink one. "The girl should have been brought to a human hospital. Now she's terrified."

"I agree. She needs a real doctor." A human woman was suddenly standing next to me. I was shocked and a bit reassured at the same time.

"We couldn't just take her to one, June," said the one with blue and pink patterns. The body had female features, and the voice sounded feminine. 

The red and blue mech, Optimus, if I remembered right, took a step towards me. "That is correct. She had already seen us before she was injured."

I don't know why, but the sight of him and his calm eyes on me made me relax a little. I turned to the familiar green one. I had seen him before, too.

He caught my gaze and gave me an embarrassed grin. "Sorry, if we scared you, kid. Must have been quite a shock."

I straightened, gaining some confidence back. Now that I watched them, even though they were big and lumbering, they also seemed graceful and gentle. I was beginning to think they didn't want to hurt me. 

"I'm very sorry about all of this, sweetie," Nurse Darby said, reaching for me.

I inched away, a little nervous, but she placed her hand on my shoulder and I didn't feel so afraid anymore. She was human, like me. She wasn't afraid of those machines. 

"I'm... Taylor," I said quietly. I fiddled with my fingers. "Where am I?"

The robots all gave each other glances.

"Taylor," Optimus said. I turned to him with wide eyes. Not out of fear, but anticipation. 

"Before I explain, I want you to understand that none of us mean any harm to you."

I nodded slowly. I think I understood that now.

"We are.."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again!! Holy cow, that was quick I'm a flipping fast writer!! I'm proud that I made this chapter a little longer. I hope you all enjoyed it. Writing the first part gave me the feels. I hope it did when you read it, too. 

I really, really, REALLY hope you guys will end up loving this story. I know not everyone likes Transformers Prime, but I love it a LOT and so I am writing this. I already have a plot in my head and can't wait to get to it!! 

Can anyone guess who my favorite Autobot is? Let me know in the comments.

Love you guys and thank you so much!! 

*waves*