Chapter 6

It took a while for me to wake up the next morning as well. My eyelids felt cemented closed, and my whole body lagged. The pain wasn't as bad anymore, but now my muscles were extremely tired and slow. I finally managed to roll over and open my eyes halfway. I looked directly into Bulkhead's gaze and jumped.

"Woah! Sorry, sorry," he apologized backing away. "Just wondering how you were feeling. Miko was asking about you the whole ride this morning."

"She's... at school?" I said tiredly.

"Yeah, we brought her and the others there a few hours ago." He grinned. "I have a feeling Miko will be in detention again today."

I giggled slightly. She definitely seemed like the type. I looked around for the other Autobots, but it was just Ratchet at his monitor again. He wasn't glancing this way, and was paying even more attention to the screen.

"Where are the other Autobots?" I asked, continuing to look around just in case I'd missed them.

Bulkhead looked over at Ratchet and the monitor, than back at me. "Optimus brought Arcee and Bumblebee on a Energon scouting mission earlier. I'm better at smashing things, so I stayed behind with Ratchet."

"Have you had any luck finding any yet?" I asked. From what I understood, they needed this stuff.

"Not as of late," Ratchet replied for Bulkhead, looking over at us grimly. "And our supply is starting to get low."

"Greedy 'Cons," Bulkhead complained, balling his fists. "I bet they don't even need all the Energon their hogging."

"Most likely not," said Ratchet. A beep made him jump. Both he and Bulkhead turned their heads slightly, listening.

"Ratchet, we need back up," came Optimus' voice through a radio. In the background I could hear gunfire and clashing metal. "The Decepticons were inhabiting this mine. We require Bulkhead."

Bulkhead straightened, turning his fists into wrecking balls and smashing them together. "Send me in, Ratch!"

Ratchet turned to a machine near his monitor and pulled a switch. A moment later, there was a strange noise, and a blight blue and green essence blew up in a tunnel. It swirled in a mass of color as Bulkhead raced towards it. I watched with my jaw wide open once again.

"Taylor!" Bulkhead said quickly. "Before I forget!" He flung something at me. I caught a grocery bag with something in it.

"Miko said to eat that!" was his explanation before he disappeared in a flash of color.

I looked in the bag and found two bagels and an apple in it. I smiled at the thought of her throwing this together on a whim. I took a bagel and bit into it. It was a bit stale, but I didn't mind. I was sort of used to it.

"What was that?" I asked Ratchet, cursing myself for doing so. "Sorry, you don't have to answer that." I was trying to stay on his good side, since he was always here.

"That was the Groundbridge," he replied after a pause. "A brilliant creation of Cybertronian technology. It can transport anything anywhere on your planet."

I looked up at him in surprise. Mostly because he had answered me. "Oh. That is pretty.. brilliant." Maybe cool wasn't the right word. That was more Miko style, and she seemed to bother him. "Why did I hear Optimus' voice earlier?" I was getting bold now.

"A simple com unit. The children all have a link to their phones as well. I'm sure Raf can set one up for you as well."

I couldn't believe I was actually holding conversation with Ratchet. I felt my heart grow lighter and hid a small smile behind a bite of the bagel. Maybe he wasn't so bad.

Then a thought dawned on me. "Are.. the others going to be okay?"

He looked over to me this time. "They know how to fight well. We've been fighting this war for a millennia." He pointed over to the medic booth I had discovered earlier. "We have first aid as well."

I sighed in relief. I think one of them being injured right now would be... too soon. My heart was too hurt right now to lose anyone else, no matter how new they were to me.

I felt my stomach cramp and groaned quietly. Maybe I had eaten too much the previous night. I stuffed the half eaten bagel back in the bag, no longer hungry. I laid down and looked up at the ceiling. 

'I'm starting to get bored. There's not much to do around here.'

I don't know why I thought this was a good idea. I sat back up in the bed quickly and swung my legs over the edge. My body protested with aches, but I needed something to do. I slowly lowered my bare (when had I taken my sandals off?) feet onto the cold floor. Taking a deep breath, I shifted my body weight off the bed. I lifted one leg to take a step.

And immediately tumbled to the floor.

Ratchet started and turned quickly to see my embarrassed self butt first on the floor. I blushed.

"What in the name of Primus are you doing?" he exclaimed. Looks like I had exasperated him.

I waved my hands in frantic dismissal. "Wait, wait, it's fine, don't worry I got it!" I said quickly, shuffling around to try and stand up. I managed to prop myself back up, but my legs gave out again. "Oof!"

Ratchet grumbled. "You humans are so reckless. What were you thinking?"

"I don't know... I thought I could do it." I tried to squirm back up again. "Sorry, let me just-ugh- get back in bed..."

Why  was this so difficult?!

Ratchet rolled his eyes with a sigh and took a few steps toward me. He bent over and held out a large metal hand. "You'll take too long if you keep trying by yourself, and it will only be more noise." He pushed his hand closer, implying for me to get on.

Silently, mostly because I was too embarrassed to speak, I crawled onto the metal hand. It wasn't as... cold as I'd imagined. Or as scary. It was actually kind of... cool.

He lifted me up slightly and tilted his hand so I slid into the bed ever-so-gently. I made a small noise when I hit the bed and looked up at him.

His glowing optics were annoyed. "Stay put and stay quiet."

I nodded sheepishly, but smiled gratefully. "Thank you. Sorry."

He scoffed and returned to the monitor.

Yeah, he was kind of a jerk. But also kind of nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good job, Taylor! You were very brave this chapter! (A little too brave towards the end, but still.) I'm proud of you.

I know, I'm talking to the character I made up.

No, that does not mean I'm crazy. 

I just like her, okay? She's a good character.

Anyway, I did write more about the Autobots this time. (I don't really know what the point of this chapter was. But hey, still good, I guess.)

I hope you guys enjoyed it! See you next time!

*waves*