Chapter 17

I was getting really confused...

First of all, Ratchet was acting... strange. When he had seen that Arcee was in danger, he had rushed in to fight the Decepticons. He'd seemed so... excited when he returned, lifting me and Raf and tossing us up and down. He had thrown Bulkhead into a wall, clicked at Arcee, and gone on a mission. That he had actually volunteered for. He was honestly worrying me, the way he was going about. The things he had said to be before he left seemed wrong...

"Hey, Taylor," he called me as I sat on the rails.

I gave him a smile, but it felt forced. My smiles for him hardly ever felt forced. "Hey.. are you okay?" I asked, looking deliberately into his sickly green optics.

He grinned, throwing a few small punches into the air. "Never better! I feel like I could take on Megatron!"

I grimaced, knowing that the Decepticon leader was dangerous. I had leaned forward, touching his arm. "Just... don't take it too far, okay?"

He threw me another smirk, patting me (a bit harshly) on the head with one digit. "Don't worry about it. Maybe after I get back, we can go for a drive."

I had forced another smile. As awesome that had sounded, I knew that in normal circumstances, he would never say something like that. I would have liked it; but it wasn't the truth. So I didn't want it. I just wanted my Ratchet back.

The other reason I was confused was... all of the sudden, I had started craving Energon. The more and more I thought about it, the more the hunger grew. I knew they were searching for it; while I had been thinking about how much they needed it, I suddenly felt the need for it, too. My stomach was literally cramping. That, and the inside of my chest was hurting. It felt like it was being squeezed. It had started a mere few minutes ago. After the rest of the Autobots had returned, saying Ratchet had run off searching for Megatron. At first, I thought it hurt because I was scared. But the longer it took, the more it felt like something else. Like inflicted pain. And it was starting to spread all over my body. I was getting worried, not only for Ratchet, but for my own health.

As I sat on my medical bed, becoming more and more concerned about my guardian, I suddenly felt a pain in my wrist. I muffled a cry of pain, just before the side of my chest exploded with pain. I let out a sharp gasp, reaching out and grasping the bedrail. The pain was so sharp, flowing for my entire body. My chest felt like it was about to burst, and I finally  screamed in agony. The Autobots jumped and turned to me in panic just as I curled up and collapsed on the bed. My breathing was normal, but growing panicked.

Somehow, I knew this wasn't my own pain.

Then, as quickly as it had came, it stopped. I let out a shaky breath and sat up slowly, confused and in shock. The others all watched me in worry and surprise. A moment later, a small alarm went off at the monitor.

"Optimus, look!" Arcee said, tearing her optics away from me and pointing at the screen. "Ratchet's signal! It's back online."

I sobbed, mostly from the subsiding pain, but also because I was happy that we had found my guardian. I slowly got out of bed and walked over to the monitor. Sure enough, his signal was on, but his life signal... was fading fast.

"No!!" I cried, tears rising. "Guys, please hurry!!" I shouted, turning, but the others were already through the Bridge. I leaned on the rail and brought my hands to my mouth, squeezing my eyes shut.

He can't leave me now. I just got him as my guardian.

I've only known him for a little bit.. I've only known all of them for a short time..

And yet... I can't bring myself to be without them.

I need them.

I need him.

I need Ratchet.

I slowly slid down the rail, crying openly. I wanted him back so badly... I already missed his firm but gentle optics. His secure servos. The things he had taught me. The conversations, however short, and the fulfilling feeling it gave me. His small, embarrassed smile. His grumpy exterior. His concerned interior.

And there was so much more I wanted to know. His interests, his home, his family, his work, how much he enjoyed it. I wanted to know the little quirks. The small things, that actually meant a lot.

I thought I would be okay with him just being okay with me. But okay is... not enough. I want more. I want... him to except me as family.

But right now I just want him back.

Safe and sound.

But safe and sound is not how he returned. Optimus and Bumblebee were carrying a limp, leaking medic through the portal. The Energon was a mix of sickly green and the normal blue. He had a sickening dent in his chest chassis, the source of the leak and the pained look on his faceplate. His entire front chassis was stained with splotches of the Energon. My heart completely stopped as my eyes fell to him, terror flooding my chest. It took everything to hold back a scream as they pulled him over to a medical berth and hooked him up. I watched in anxiety as they rushed to stabilize him. It was terrifying and long; it lasted over an hour, and his sparkbeat flatlined once. I nearly passed out in fear.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, he was stabilized. I ran down to the side of his berth; I felt so small looking up at him laying there. My chest felt like it was being crushed as I stared up at his limp body. Tears rose into my eyes and fell down my face. Optimus was still at his side; he was his oldest friend, and looked more concern than I had ever seen him. I dragged myself over to his pede, reaching out and sliding my hand across the warm metal.

"Is he.. gonna be okay?" I whispered, suppressing another sob.

He looked down at me solemnly, leaning down and placing a digit on my back gently. "We have stabilized him; for now, all we can do is wait."

My eyes fell to the floor so he couldn't see how wet and red they were. "Please... can I see him?"

His optics twisted in sadness, but he complied. He held out his servo and let me climb on. Slowly and carefully, he lifted me up to the medical berth. My heart broke to see Ratchet like this; I couldn't hold back a small, choking sob. Optimus lifted his palm so that I slid down, landing right next to Ratchet's shoulder plate. I limped over to him, going around and going to where I normally sat; right next to his neck cables. His faceplate was turned to me, expression neutral and tired. Fresh tears fell down my face as I reached out. I hesitated, but gently brushed the warm faceplate. Another sob burst from my mouth as I collapsed next to him, my legs finally giving out. I held back my cries, not wanting to disturb his rest. I just sat there, resting my hand on his cheek and leaning on his neck cables.

I was there for hours, night falling quickly. The others tried to convince me to rest on my own medical bed; I said nothing and just laid down next to his helm on the cold medical berth. They eventually gave up trying and one by one left to their own berths. Optimus was the last to leave, shooting me one more apologetic glance before going back. I just laid there, closing my eyes and allowing myself to drift off.

Please, I prayed. Bring my guardian back to me.

——————————————————————————————————

Why can't I write anything other than sad lately....

Meeeeeeeehhhhh....

Anyway bye

*waves*