Chapter 5

"I recommend a few more days of bed rest," Nurse Darby told me after examining me. She smiled warmly. "You should be feeling a bit better soon. When was the last time you ate something?"

My stomach grumbled loudly at the mention of food. Heat rose to my face in embarrassment. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten. At the funeral, maybe? I glanced down and shrugged.

"You can't remember?" she asked. I nodded.

Miko, who had been hanging back and watching alongside Jack and Raf, leapt forward at this. "Dude, you must be seriously hungry!" She raced down the deck. "Bulkhead!"

The green Autobot, who had been holding some sort of conversation with Bumblebee, jumped slightly at the sound of his name. "What is it, Miko?"

"We're going for a food run!" she told him cheerfully, glancing back at me. "And shopping! For Taylor!" She ran down the stairs and to Bulkhead's feet. "Hurry up!"

Bulkhead sighed, giving me and Bumblebee an apologetic look. "Coming. Just going through Jasper, right?" he asked as he transformed.

"To find the best food and clothes in Jasper!" she exclaimed, jumping in. A moment later they revved away.

Jack snorted and shook his head. "How does she make the simplest things like a big dare or something?"

Raf shrugged. "I don't know." He left Jack's side and came over to me. "So are you feeling any better now?"

I tried to smile again. Why was it so hard now? "I probably will after I eat something."

"Try not to eat too much too fast," Nurse Darby told me. "It could give you an upset stomach." She glanced at her watch. "I should probably get going. I picked up another shift at the hospital tonight. I trust you can give Jack a ride home, Arcee?"

"Right," Arcee said, nodding once.

Jack sighed. "Don't worry about me, Mom. I'll be fine with Arcee."

She gave him a hug. "Try not to go on any crazy adventures tonight, okay?" She kissed his cheek and started to leave. Jack looked down in embarrassment.

"Do you require a Groundbridge, Nurse Darby?" Ratchet asked, glancing down at her.

"No, thank you, Doctor," she replied, getting in her car and driving away. I watched her go until I couldn't see her anymore.

"I'm sorry if my mom is bothering you," Jack apologized awkwardly. 

"She can be overprotective," Arcee said.

I shook my head. "No.. it's fine. I kind of like it, actually. It sorta reminds me of my mom."

Mom wasn't exactly worried all the time, but she always liked to ask how I was doing and talk to me. The thought of it made me miss her even more.

Jack was silent for a second, before something caught his attention. "Hey, what's that sticking out of your pocket?"

"Huh?" I glanced down, and indeed, something red was poking out of my pant's pocket. I reached in and pulled out my old cellphone. "Oh!"

"Has that been in there that whole time?" Raf asked.

I flipped it open and clicked a button. The screen remained dark. I groaned. Of course it was dead. How could it survive and explosion? Especially one not technically from this earth.

"It's broken," I sighed. "It had pictures of me and Mom on it.."

Raf looked it over. "Do you mind if I look at it? I might be able to fix it."

I must have had some sort of doubtful look on my face, because Raf laughed a little. 

"He's serious," Jack told me. "He probably can."

I blinked in surprise and curiosity, handing the phone to Raf. He snatched it and took out a laptop, plugging my phone up with a cord attached to the laptop. He sat down and began clicking away. I watched in awe. Most of what I saw looked English, but all mixed up. In the corner of his screen, I also recognized some Cybertronian symbols that I had seen on Ratchet's monitor. I looked over to where Ratchet was, and, sure enough, the screen was full of similar symbols.

"There, wasn't too hard," he said a moment later, pulling the plug away and handing the phone back to me. "Try it now."

I took the phone and tapped a button again. The screen lit up, sending excited sparks down my back. I looked in the corner and realized it was in desperate need of a charge, though.

"Woah, thanks!" I said gratefully.

Jack patted the younger kid's back. "Nice going, Raf."

I looked around sheepishly. "Does anyone have a phone charger?"

Jack and Raf shook his head. "Sorry, I left mine at home," Jack said.

"Miko probably has hers," Raf guessed. "You can ask when she gets back."

As if on cue, Bulkhead raced back into the hideout. Miko jumped out hold three bags and a drink. Bulkhead transformed to his normal self. 

"I liked that song on the way back, Miko!" he laughed. "Another Slash Monkey?"

She nodded. "Newest song, and one of the best ones yet!" She ran up the deck. "Hey, guys, ya miss me?"

Ratchet grumbled something under is breath and turned his back to us. 

"Fast food and mall clothes!" Miko cried out, racing over to me and plopping the bags at my legs. "Best way to help a patient feel better!"

"Not really, but thanks," I laughed, looking through the bags.

"You smiled! Like, for real!" She threw her arm around my shoulder and squeezed me. "We are going to be best friends forever! Me, you, and of course Bulkhead."

"Heh, don't drive her too crazy, Miko," Bulkhead joked, grinning.

I was startled at Miko's grasp at first, but I felt my heart life tremendously as she hugged me. I felt happy tears rise to my eyes and hugged her back.

"Thank you," I whispered into her shirt.

"No problem!" She squeezed the breath out of me before I was released. "Now, I hope you like cheeseburgers and large fries!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was night again in the hideout. Jack, Miko, and Raf had all returned home a while ago. I lay awake in bed, a thousand thoughts running through my head. The last two days had been confusing, startling, but fun. I had actually enjoyed my time here. I had friends for the first time in three years. They didn't want to push me away, and neither did the Autobots. They seemed intent on watching over me. Even Ratchet would sometimes check on me while Nurse Darby was out. His "duty as a medic".

I could feel his gaze on me now. It sent something up my spine, but it definitely wasn't fear. I was no longer afraid of them. I was actually comforted, maybe.

'I wonder what tomorrow will be like.. and the next day... and the day after that....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. Another chapter with two parts. (That one was short, but still.) I'm a bit disappointed in myself. I have a plot, but I'm having trouble getting there. *Sigh* Suggestions?

Taylor is starting to turn back into a human again. (You know what I mean.) I can't wait until she is fully herself again! I need to write more about the Autobots...

Well, until next time! Enjoy the story!

*waves*