Chapter 8

The next day I actually woke up in the morning. At least,  it think it was morning. It was hard to tell in a rock. This time my body didn't feel as weak, but my head was pounding. It hurt to open my eyes, but I forced myself to anyway. When I looked around, I found Optimus Prime watching me silently. I jumped, but said nothing. His gaze didn't leave me, and his optics twisted sorrowfully. I didn't see any of the other Autobots, but I could hear Ratchet typing away at his monitor, and the faint voice of Arcee and the warbling Bumblebee.

"Optimus?" I said finally. "Is something wrong?"

He looked down for a brief moment before shifting to his full height. I hadn't realized he'd been bending over. How long had he been there?

"I and the other Autobots have come to a temporary conclusion about how your time here would fan out," he said simply. At his voice, I heard Arcee and Bumblebee cease talking, and they soon joined Optimus' side.

'That means they they decided if I'm staying or not,' I translated to myself in my mind.

"Before we fill you in, we want to be sure," Bulkhead interjected, appearing behind Optimus with worry glowing in his optics.

"Are you sure there is no one who can take you in? No friends or family?" Arcee crossed her arms, not angrily, but more like anxious concern.

I turned away and slowly shook my head. "If I were to leave now, I literally have no idea where I could go. Even if I did find someone to help me, the only thing they could probably do is send me to an orphanage." I shuddered as the thought occurred to me.

The Autobots all looked at each other then. Each of them nodded once.

"Then, Taylor, until we can find a permanent home for you, you will be staying at base with us." Optimus shifted his optics straight into my eyes. "Please understand that we can no longer leave you alone."

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. I squeaked in reply and looked away, a powerful emotion filling my chest. To me, for a few minutes, it was unrecognizable. I shivered as I searched for what I felt. It wasn't sadness or fear, even though I felt tears rising. I was silent for a little longer, before turning my eyes back to the Autobots. 

"Taylor?" Arcee said with rare gentleness.

"It's... it's okay. I'm just... trying to find the right emotion, I guess. Ever since Mom died, it's been hard for me to... know what I'm really feeling." I sniffled and buried my head in my legs, which I had previously brought to my chest. Slight, unwanted sobs escaped me.

"Taylor, I'm sorry if you are unsure right now, but please understand that we-"

"I'm not sad," I interrupted him. "It's not that. My chest feels really.. light and I want to... I don't know, hug something, but it's not sad. I know you guys are trying to help. No one has ever gone this far for me before, other than my Mom."

They paused. They themselves did not understand the closeness of a mother or parent, but had seen such with Jack and his mother. And they did no what bonds were, what family meant. They knew well what losing said family could do to a person. They did not, however, know how to determine what this girl was feeling.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is.... thank you," I told them, wiping my eyes and looking up at them. "You guys are really great. I think I'm.... happy." I smiled, and even though I couldn't see it myself, I knew it was real. "For the first time in a long time."

Bumblebee, Bulkhead, and Arcee smiled at me. Even the collected Prime gave me a small, satisfied smile. "Of course, Taylor."

"Glad we could help!" Bulkhead chimed in.

Bumblebee buzzed something I couldn't understand. Arcee jabbed her thin metal finger (did they call them digits?) at him and said, "He says you and Raphael will get along well."

I cocked my head. "Really? You think so?"

Bulkhead laughed. "Yeah, Miko too."

Arcee shook her head. "I don't think that's what he meant... but yeah, Jack likes you, too."

I giggled a little. "I'm glad. I haven't had friends in a long time..."

"We're you're friends too, Taylor," Bulkhead said. "All of us."

Ratchet scoffed, shaking his helm and rolling his eyes. I laughed, an actual, warm laugh. Now my chest felt even lighter. My headache was even getting better.

Optimus nodded once and joined Ratchet at the monitor, saying something indistinct to him, which Ratchet only scoffed at and rolled his optics again. Arcee took Bumblebee back to their conversation, taking Bee's arm as they talked. Bulkhead stayed behind, beginning to talk about Miko and past adventures. I had already heard them before, from Miko herself, but I enjoyed listening to him ramble on and get excited. Some parts were different than how I had heard previously (because, of course, it's Miko.) and I was just as interested as if I was hearing it for the first time. He ended right where Miko had and I felt free to ask a few questions. We continued talking for a while, and eventually Arcee and Bumblebee finished their conversation and joined ours. Time passed without me even realizing, and soon the three bots had to leave to pick up the kids. I waved them goodbye, and soon it was just me and Ratchet again. Optimus had earlier gone for a drive.

I watched him continue his work in silence. Ratchet didn't seem like to type to start conversation with. Repeated phrases and symbols kept me curious. I wondered what they meant and tried to guess what he was reading. Then I thought about Raf's laptop with the same Cybertronian symbols. 

"Does Raf know Cybertronian?" I asked, then slapped a hand over my mouth. Shoot, I had just started conversation.

He looked over at me with an unreadable expression. "Yes, he is learning. Why?"

I blinked. He had just answered without a problem. Again. "Uh, no specific reason. Just curious."

"If you want to learn as well, Raf could give you a few pointers," he told me. "I'm not currently doing anything of large importance. Would you like me to teach you?" 

He was no longer looking at me, but his voice was gentle. My head sure appreciated that.

"Sure!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first, I thought I knew what I was doing with this chapter. Then, as I was writing it, I thought I wasn't going to have enough words and that it was going to be under 1,000 words. Then, I went over without even realizing! I was so happy!

So, if my other story says it's completed, it's not, and I am sorry. 

I almost didn't write this chapter today, because I was reading a lot of TP stories. (Read Shattered Glass by Bumblemus Prime) 

I'm excited about this book. I know I've said that a lot, but I really am.

*waves*