Chapter 19

Ratchet

The ache in my chest chassis was beginning to get annoying, being harsh enough to wake me out of stasis in the middle of the earth night. The rest of my chassis was throbbing slightly as well, probably from my tussle with Knockout. I let out a small groan, wishing I had something to reduce the pain. As I turned my helm to try to get more comfortable so I could go back into stasis, I felt something move along my neck cables. My spark stopped for a second as I realized it was Taylor, who had fallen asleep there.

She can't be very comfortable, either.

I sighed frustratedly, wishing she would have moved to her bed so she could rest better. Not that I minded her being there to much.. I just knew she needed the proper sleep. I reached up with one servo, carefully sliding my digits under her body, doing it exceptionally slowly since I was having trouble seeing her. When she sighed softly, I froze, afraid of waking her. After a few moments, I continued to pick her up, gently sliding her off my neck cords and moving her. I slowly placed her next to my shoulder plate, across from my faceplate so that I could see her. She mumbled in her sleep quietly, causing me to go still again, but she eventually stilled. To my surprise, the corners of her lips turned up into a small, gentle smile. Made me wonder what kind of dream she was having.

She really was a good girl.. it was troublesome to see her upset. It made my spark sink slightly and my processor get distracted. I often found myself wishing I could do more for her, make her feel better.

At the same time, I was afraid of trying. I knew that I wasn't the best guardian material, seeing as most other humans bothered me. My most recent actions had proved that I hadn't been doing it right, if I had even thought about it at all. I was almost glad I was suffering for it; I deserved what I got. But in the end I had made her even more upset, something I had never wanted to do.

So far I'm a terrible guardian.

It was crazy to think about; I actually was a guardian to a girl I barely knew. When the other humans had came, I had been so against the idea of ever becoming one. However, when Taylor has arrived, an unfamiliar feeling for the human came to me. I wanted to protect her, make her happy. I knew hardly anything about her, and yet...

A sigh escaped my derma as I stroked her gently with one digit. She looked peaceful now; that was good. I wanted to make sure she stayed that way, and seeing as I couldn't go back into stasis now, I decided to watch her. It felt strange, watching a human girl sleep. I had nothing better to do, though, and surprisingly, it was satisfactory enough, even though she was still for a long time.

My optics were starting to droop out of drowsiness and exhaustion from the pain, when I noticed that her facial expression turned sad. Her smile was replaced with a depressed frown, her eyes beginning to well up with tears, and her eyebrows furrowed. Once again, my spark felt dum watching her like that. Just as she started to sob, I stroked her hair again. She stirred for a few moments, eyes finally opening and resting on me. Slightly embarrassed, I drew my servo away a little.

"O-Oh," she mumbled, slowly sitting up and rubbing her eyes. "Sorry, I said I wouldn't cry."

"That you did."

She gave me a shy, apologetic smile. It worried me at how forced it looked. "Sorry, sometimes I can't help it, I guess. I'm just a mess." She sighed sadly and looked down.

I sighed, too. "I'm not annoyed," I told her slowly. "I just.. don't like seeing you upset."

Her eyes widened, obviously surprised at what she had just heard. "R-really?" she asked. She looked desperate and hopeful. I wondered why.

"I can't really explain it," I stuttered, unsure of what to say. "I.. don't really know how to deal with humans and their emotions." My servo was still hanging over her, which twitched in nervousness.

I expected her face to fall at my poor explanation, but she brightened instead. "They're a lot like yours!" she laughed quietly, reaching up and taking my digit. "It's okay, though. I'm having a hard time as well."

"Why?" I couldn't help but ask.

Her eyes went downcast. "I.. really miss my mom. I literally had no one else in life; I never knew my dad, my family didn't like my mom for whatever reason, and my friends... they all abandoned me a long time ago. My mom was the only one I could turn to, take comfort it. She let me be myself around her, let me cling to her so much," she rambled, tears rising into her eyes again. "When she was gone.. I don't know, I think I lost touch with the parts of myself I still had. I didn't care anymore. I just wanted to die. For it all to go away." She started to sob again and rubbed her eyes.

I was completely dumbstruck, having no idea how to reply. I had known that her carrier was no more.. but I didn't really consider how badly it had affected her. I didn't know she had no one else; I didn't know how she had felt. I cursed at myself, angry that I hadn't bothered to even try.

She hiccuped, looking back up to me. "I though no one else would ever love me, ever care for me. I thought I was all alone. But.." she cried, getting up. "Then you found me." She rubbed her tears again and suddenly ran to my faceplate, hugging my cheek tightly. "And now I'm finding myself again. As long as I have people who care, I'll be okay."

I was frozen, listening to her words with surprise. I had no idea how much we had affected her as well. How much I had affected her.

"Thank you so much," she whispered. "You have done so much for me already!"

Slowly, I reached out and hugged her with my servos. "I.. didn't know that you felt that way.. I'm sorry.."

She shook her head underneath my digits. "Don't be. Please don't feel bad. As long as you are here, it doesn't matter. As long as you're my guardian."

I closed my optics, overtaken by the mood. "I.. I do care. I honestly didn't think I would at first.. but I want to make sure you're okay. I want to always watch over you."

She sobbed again, but I figured this time, it was out of joy. "Thank you! That means so much to me!" She continued to cry quietly, and for a long time I just held her there.

It was a while later before she finally shifted from under my servos. I moved them back to my sides, letting her back away and sit against my shoulder plate. Her face was red, but she was smiling. I threw her a small one to assure it was fine. She leaned her head back, closing her eyes to think. I continued to watch her until I finally fell into a restless recharge.

Taylor

My mind was bustling with excitement, even though it was late. I couldn't fall back asleep, but not because I was afraid to. Because of what Ratchet had said. I still couldn't get over it. A part of me wondered if he still had Synthetic Energon in his systems, making him act different. However, it wasn't the same difference as before. It felt sincere; it felt real. Even though I couldn't really trust feelings, I wanted to believe in this one. He really did care about me. He really wanted to be my guardian. He had really meant all those things he said.

I looked back down from the ceiling to his faceplate. My own face was flushed, still thinking about what he had told me. His optics were closed, his derma parted slightly. He looked peaceful as he slept, which was good. I didn't want his rest to be plagued with pain and nightmares.

I hoped he got better soon. I wanted to sit in my usual spot again, watching him work and learning more things about his language, his home, his work. I wanted for him to be comfortable at his console again. To be part of his team.

Leaning my head back on his shoulder plate, I closed my eyes and smiled.

I found someone who loves me, Mom.

——————————————————————————————————

I can't seem to stop updating this story.. the next chapter is the twentieth chapter! I still have so many ideas for this book, so it might turn into a long one. Or even a series...

Wow, that actually sounds kinda cool!

Anyways, see ya next chapter!

*waves*