Chapter 25

Chapter 25

* * * * * * * *

Rose's POV:

* * * * * * * *

Slowly, I come to consciousness.

Voices fill my ears; Paxton, Henri, Alice...

I begin to open my eyes, only to snap them shut again when I'm surrounded by a blinding white.

"Take it easy. Let yourself adjust." Henri says. Listening to his instructions, I open my eyes and gaze at the room I'm in. Paxton, Henri, Alice, and I are in a white padded box shaped room. All of us are clothed in white cotton shirts and pants.

"Please tell me I'm not dead." I say quietly.

"Not yet." Sighs Paxton.

"What happened..." I say out loud, mostly talking to myself.

"Well, when they came and took you from the cell, I thought it was the end. Next thing I know, I've been yanked out and tossed into a tub of water. They scrub a layer of skin off me, and shove me into these cotton clothes. I'm tossed into this room with these two, and not to long after you're being dragged in." Alice says, taking a deep breath after. I'm about to reply when my stomach squirms. With a gasp, I put my hand on my shirt and curl up into a ball.

Alice quickly grabs the only item in the room other than us four. She shoves the white, plastic bin in my face and puts her hand on my forehead.

"I'm fine." I say, gently pushing the bin away with a grateful smile. She smiles back and returns the bin to its place.

"What was that about?" Asks Paxton after a few moments of awkward silence. He and Henri both look at me weirdly. Alice and I shrug and return to our original positions with our backs to the padded walls.

The awkward silence continues for a while before Alice sighs and speaks up.

"We should play a game." She says.

"Why don't we try an escape?" I wonder.

"We did while you were unconscious. It's impossible from the inside." Says Paxton.

"We can play twenty questions!" Exclaims Alice, completely ignoring the commentary between Paxton and I.

"Fine." Paxton says, leaning back against the wall.

"Henri, you go first!" Alice says, and the game begins.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's a hand held grenade!" Paxton shouts, winning for the fourth time in a row.

"Let's do something else." I sigh, my head in my hands.

"We could play finish the story...." Alice suggests.

"Yes!" I say, all but jumping at the opportunity to change the game.

"I get to go first, because I won the other game." Paxton says.

"Fine, but you start negative." Alice says. Paxton rolls his eyes and quickly comes up with his sentence.

"Okay. So, there is a huge dinosaur attacking a tiny village of pacifist creatures." He says with a grin.

"No worries. There is a large indigenous group of penguins who stand up for the defenseless who come and defeat the dinosaur." Says Alice.

"That's great, but what you don't know is that the dinosaur had babies under the village that will come and eat the indigenous penguins." Henri counters.