Chapter 2

Sun Hyang 

Eyes glued to the screen, I followed the plotter's trajectory. It's been twenty-four hours since I started my wait for any significant change to happen. And at last, starting an hour ago, the warning light has been flashing almost continuously: the man has finally left the hotel where he spent the night, and is now walking towards a seemingly-precise destination. Precise, but that I struggle to understand. He has changed bus lines three times and is now waiting at another. But where to? I can't understand.

I move at the same pace as he does, staying in the vicinity. I need to be able to get to him in the range of a minute.

His steps appear to take him to an area of little interest. The only building that draws attention is the Gocheok Sky Dome, but I don't see what a criminal with ties to North-Korean activities would do there. Quickly, for safety reasons, I have a look at the evening programme. There's a certain boys' band concert this evening, taking place in thirty minutes: EXO. Nothing to do with us, therefore.

I continue to examine flyers of places nearby. Shops, restaurants – nothing that catches my eye. Slowly, I feel the tension creeping inside me. I don't understand what he's doing here, I feel like something is happening, but I can't do anything about it if I'm not aware of the situation.

The loud ring of my phone makes me jump. I get hold of it and pick up as soon as I see my mission assistant's name, at HQ.

"Agent B?"

"Agent X? Where are you?"

"I'm following the plotter I set yesterday. Near the Gocheok Sky Dome."

"Oh no. We have a big problem."

"What's going on?"

"Yesterday's civilian, the witness: he's there."

Damn it. That's why he's here! He's managed to find him and is on his way to get rid of him –damn! I grab my weapon, my jacket, and storm out of my car, holding the phone to my ear.

"Do you have his seat number? Have you spotted him, checked the CCTVs?"

I run in direction of the Dome, where I can glimpse the last spectators entering the building. Seeing as Agent B takes her time to reply, I urge her on:

"Agent B! The number!"

"Um...I think you haven't fully understood the situation: there is no seat... He's on stage."

I stop dead in the middle of the street. She's kidding me, right?

"Are you messing with me, Agent B?"

"I'm afraid not: the target of this man you've been following is none other than Mister Byun Baekhyun, aka Baekhyun, main vocalist of EXO's boys' band. You should hurry, he's coming up to perform in three minutes."

I curse by myself as I double my speed. What the hell have I gotten myself into? Evacuating a member of the audience was easy, but an idol? I must be damned.

I make it to the entrance but the crowd is too dense: even with my government papers I struggle to get by, and I hear the beginning of the first song as I reach the doors. Shit. I hurry and follow the doors with the STAFF tag.

A maze of corridors unfolds before me, and three minutes tick by before I make it behind the scenes. From there, I have a full view of the stage where EXO have started their performance. I try to spot the criminal, but I can't see him: the lights are blinding me, and the music keeps me from concentrating. I locate Baekhyun, standing between the dancers and the other members.