Chapter 8

Sun Hyang

"No one truly interesting, to be perfectly honest. Her father and husband, however, are: her dad is none other than Lim Chin Hae, Minister for Defence and Director of the HID-AIU, the North-Korean secret services."

***

"I can't believe it."

A light dizziness overcomes me, and Baekhyun muffles as gasp of surprise. The Minister for Defence and Director of the HID-AIU. Otherwise known as my Big Boss. What on earth is he doing in this story? I gather myself quickly.

"Please continue."

"Concerning her husband, his name is Lee Kwang Ho, a general who mainly officiates at the Freedom House*, the guardhouse at the North-South border. The only means of communication between the two Koreas. I think it might have been an arranged union. I haven't yet managed to determine if the husband and the father-in-law are regularly in contact with one another, but knowing how important both men are, I'd be surprised if they weren't. Whilst we're waiting for confirmation, I preferred to keep this data between you and me, for security purposes. Just in case..."

She doesn't finish her sentence, but her insinuation is crystal clear.

"Very well, Agent B. I'll hang up, ring me when you find something."

I hang up, and with a radical twist of the wheel, I take the next exit and speed up. I have to get to a parking lot, I have to park somewhere. Baekhyun can tell something is wrong, he tries to call me:

"Sun Hyang..."

I don't respond, eyes glued to the road, incapable of getting a grip amidst the wave of anger taking over me. If I open my mouth, if I derive my attention to anything else but the road - I'm going to explode.

There!

A sign points to a little cheap motel! I crunch my foot against the accelerator, not paying the slightest bit of attention to Baekhyun, who keeps on calling me:

"Sun Hyang, please, I don't want to die. Sun Hyang, careful!"

The car almost flips over after I manoeuvre a turn wrongly, but I keep at it. I have to stop. The motel is fifty metres away.

I storm into the parking lot like a madwoman. Thankfully it's almost empty. I stomp on the brakes, cut the power, and bust out of the car in fury.

"I can't believe it, I can't believe it, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!"

I shout. It simply cannot be true! The Minister for Defence and the Director of the HID-AIU cannot be in on me! He can't be the traitor! I've served him since I'm eighteen! Seven years, I've followed his orders! Seven years, I've been at his side, following him blindly, trusting him with everything I have! These seven years simply cannot have all been but lies!

I take my head inside my hands as a visceral pain takes to my guts: all these missions, all this intel, all these people I sent to jail under his lead: were they guilty or did I participate in a monstrous act of injustice and high treason? Tears of rage and fear well inside my eyes, but never escape. I'm beside myself, lost, and I think back to each mission, each order. I run around in circles, out of touch with reality, I know I'm freaking out but there's nothing for me to hold onto. This discovery puts everything back into question: what I am, what I fight for. It questions my every action, who I am. I feel like everything is crumbling down, I'm totally losing it. The only thing keeping me standing, that allowed me to fight for so many years: this faith in fighting for a just cause - except it's not a just cause, and everything I believe in is false.