Chapter 13

Two days before, Seoul – Agent B.

Agent B strode at a brisk pace in the corridor, careful not to click her heels too loudly against the floor. The documents she carried inside her arms had the same effect as if she were holding a bomb: if she got caught, everything would explode.

After Agent X's discoveries after Agent Y's passing away, Agent B had tried to find evidence as discretely as possible. Investigating inside the secret services had proven a particularly difficult task, and she'd had to be even more cautious what with Agent X's disappearance from their radars with her witness – and a what a witness, at that! The Minister would soon suspect something, and they had to act fast.

She had started with IT searches of course, which had meant a colossal amount of work for a single person to go through. She hadn't found anything relevant, no surprises here – she had to admit it, the contrary would have astonished her. Documents of this importance, that compromising – if even they existed – would be ultra-protected, and most likely under a paper format. There's nothing more secure than the paper format: you can't hack its contents, and it's easier to get rid of than any other support: if it burns, the evidence leaves within its smoke. If there's digital proof, it'll be on the North-Korean side.

Agent B had thereby tried to get hold of these damned papers, hoping against hope that they existed. She'd quickly gathered that figuring things out on her own would be an impossible task: she knew her way around a computer, but despite the basic field training she'd followed like all the other agents, she would be incapable of breaking into a house alone. The agent had eventually decided to use the debt her cousin owed her: he worked in a circus, and his job had made a sneaking expert out of him*. His efforts had eventually payed off, and the documents now found themselves hidden inside the file she held close to her chest.

A thin trickle of sweat ran down her spine. She never would have thought she'd get herself into such an unlikely situation, and she would have rather never experienced it. But, she also never could've refused helping Agent X: her sense of justice was much too strong. She wanted to help her country.

Her emergency for the time being was to send these all to Agent X. The only data she possessed in order to succeed were the pre-disappearance intel her colleague had communicated to her, and her knowledge of the young agent's habits, whom she had been working with for many years now. She had deduced an address from this combination of information, and prayed she was right.

She tried to conceal her anguish as she left the building. She took the underground, and selected a random destination: what mattered was she didn't pick her usual itinerary. After about an hour, she made it to one of the poorer districts in Seoul she'd never set foot in before. Now she had to find a letter box. She rounded the corner, and luckily fell upon a postman collecting the mail.

"Ahjussi!"

She ran, and managed to catch up to him before he left. Quickly, she took three envelopes out from her file, each bearing the same contents: the evidence condemning the Minister, as well as proof concerning his son-in-law and a couple other men's implications. The first was addressed to Agent X, the second to the President's office, and Agent B was taking the risk of sending the third to a post office abroad: someone would retrieve it and keep it safe, without knowing what contents it held. That way, if things went wrong, the proofs wouldn't disappear.

She handed them to the postman and, seeing him leave with them, Agent B couldn't help but address a silent prayer to the sky: their whole operation relied on those documents and unfortunately, the chances for things to go wrong were dramatically high.

***